CHAPTER 37

My mom's going to freak out if she sees me come home like this. I've definitely sobered up, but I probably still smell of alcohol. When Lucas and I found Raegan, she was sitting on the couch with Preston. They looked like they were in a pretty deep conversation, and I didn't want to ruin that, so I agreed to go home with Lucas, who – let's be real – wasn't letting me out of his sight so easily.

Lucas is walking us to his car because the guy also refuses to let me get into an Uber by myself this late at night. We slide in, buckle our seatbelts, and he keeps the radio turned off.

"Where to, Lil?" he asks me.

"I can't go home right now," I tell him. "Mind if we stall a bit?"

"I got you, Lil," he smirks at me. "I got you."

I thought Lucas was going to take me somewhere other than...his house. I should have clarified that the reason why I didn't want to go home was because I was trying to avoid my mom. And now, I don't need his mom seeing me like this.

"Don't worry, my parents aren't home," Lucas tells me, reading my mind. He unbuckles his seatbelt and exits the car, coming to get my door for me.

"Where are they?" I ask.

"They had a party in the town over, so they're staying the night at some hotel," he says, slamming my door shut.

Lucas holds onto my hand as he walks us to the front of his house like he thinks I need his guidance. It's sweet, actually.

We enter the living room and I take a seat on the velvety couch as Lucas walks towards the fireplace. "I'm pretty sure I know how to do this," he tells me before lighting it.

"Uh, I would hope so."

Next thing I know, I'm feeling the heat from the flames hit my skin, and the warmth feels so good.

"I'll be right back," Lucas tells me.

5 minutes later, he returns holding a glass of orange juice in one hand and a plate with buttered toast on it in the other.

"Thanks," I say when he hands me the cup. He places the plate down on the table.

The fire crackles as Lucas gazes at me, and I tip the cup up, taking a sip of the juice before slowly lowering it back down from my lips.

"Good?" he asks.

"Mhm," I remark.

"Freshly made," he tells me. "That should sober you up a little."

"You would know, wouldn't you?" I tease, and he lets out a chuckle. 

"I may have had my fair share of drunken nights."

"You don't say?"

He places his elbow down above the headboard, resting his cheek against it. He looks at me and blinks just once, smirking. "Wanna tell me why you did it?"

"Did what?" I ask.

"Got drunk."

I scoff at him. "Didn't know that I needed your permission."

"That's not what I'm saying, Lil. I just know that this isn't you."

"Why? Because I don't like to enjoy a cocktail every now and then?"

"Not multiple..."

"You know, you're not one to talk."

He exhales then says, "Lil, if something's bothering you, you can tell me."

I lick my lips and lean forward to place the cup of orange juice down on the table. "Fine," I say, coming back to a seated position. "My dad's getting remarried. And the best part is, I found out from an article in some gossip magazine." I shake my head as I think about my past. "I haven't seen my dad since I was 7, and now he's just starting anew like I don't even exist."

"I'm sure that he misses you, Lil," Lucas softly says, but I shake my head at him.

"Don't do that, Lucas. Don't make excuses for him. I did that all my life, taking blame for his actions. If he missed me, he would've reached out all the times that he didn't."

"None of this is your fault, Lil. You do know that, don't you?"

"Now, yeah. The day he left, no. I was so young I didn't know how to not take the blame for him walking out on us."

"It's his loss. He missed out on getting to know an incredible person."

"Thanks," I half-smile.

"I mean it," he intently says. "I really do."

We both continue to stare at each other, but my eyes feel so heavy from tiredness that they start to close.

"You should get some rest," Lucas tells me.

"Yeah, I know. I should head home soon," I say. "My mom's usually asleep by midnight. What time is it?"

Lucas looks at the expensive watch on his wrist. "11:15." He looks me over and then says, "Spend the night here."

"There's no way that my mom will allow that."

"She doesn't have to know. I'll bring you home first thing in the morning, before she gets up."

"You're going to drop me home at 6 am?" I ask in between yawns.

"I'll set my alarm right now," he tells me, whipping his phone out and doing just that.

I'm too exhausted to argue. I angle my body so that my head falls on the pillow and my legs spread out on the couch. Lucas reaches for the Missoni blanket that's folded over the arm of the sofa and covers my body with it. He then hovers over me, bending his head down, and plants a soft kiss to my forehead.

"Sweet dreams, Lily," he whispers and before I can officially doze off for the rest of the night, I notice him grab the other pillow that's on the couch. He places it down on the floor and lays his body in a sleeping position on the rug to stay with me.

I feel a smile form on my face as I drift off into a sleep knowing that Lucas is near.