CHAPTER 53

We take a break from dancing, which I'm thankful for because these heels are digging into my skin. I can't believe that the night is almost over. It's wild when you think about it - so much hard work, like months and months of hard work, goes into one, 5-hour night, and then it's all over. Yet I know that the memories will last me a lifetime.

"Anyone want to check out the dessert room?" mom asks. Yes, there's a separate room just for dessert. I can't wait to see what everyone thinks of the room. Bridget went all out with tiered cakes, cookies, fruit for an army, and even a crepe stand.

"I'll be there in a second," I say. "Need to rest my feet for a few minutes."

"Okay, sweetie," mom says before turning to Raegan. "Raegan, what do you say?"

"Lead the way!"

My feet are hiding under the clothed table, so I slip them out of their heels. It's not like anyone can see. I let my toes breath for a few minutes before sliding my shoes back on.

I'm seconds away from pulling out my chair to join my mom and Raegan in the dessert room when I feel a hand graze the back of my shoulder, the unexpected gesture causing goosebumps to form on my skin. I don't have to turn around to know the touch. I recognize it in its feel alone.

I don't think I can face him just yet. But I also have been counting down the seconds until we crossed paths tonight.

I turn around to find Lucas standing behind me. He's looking at me with intent; with a look that I swear could freeze time. After his gaze lingers on me for a few seconds, his lips curve upward into the faintest of smiles.

"I've been dying to dance with you all night," he tells me. He slowly reaches his hand out and I watch it, wishing to take it. As he holds it out to me, I look back up at him. "Will you dance with me, Lil?" he asks.

I hold my gaze on him for a few seconds longer before answering him with a slow nod. "Yes," I say, but my tone is so low that it almost cracks.

I place my hand in Lucas's, and he gently covers it with his fingers. He leads us to the dance floor and I notice every single girl's head turn my way. Normally, I'd hate the attention, but being here with Lucas is the only thing that I care about right now. 

We pass the stage and Bridget smiles at me and Lucas, nodding like she knows us dancing together is right. I immediately search for Teddy but he's not at the table.

Lucas brings us to the center of the dance floor and the live band starts to play a rendition of Satellite by Harry Styles.

"I hope you don't mind, but I put in a request," he tells me of the song. Our song.

There's barely any breathing room between our bodies as Lucas wraps one hand around my waist. I drape my hand over his shoulder blade and then we clasp our free hands together. Even though Lucas is way taller than me, our eyes perfectly meet, and in this moment, it's just us. No one else. Our feet move in tandem as we continue to stare into each other's eyes.

"Why does this feel so right?" he whispers, but I don't say anything. I don't want to ruin this time that we have together. I know that all eyes are on us but I don't care. I place my head on his shoulder and his head hovers over my ear. Nothing separates us.

I close my eyes, wishing, dreaming that this could be every day for me and Lucas. No guilt, no regret, just passion, desire, love. But sometimes I feel like we burn so bright together that we may burn out. And that scares me.

And then my eyes open and I see him standing at the front of the dance floor. Teddy. Looking at me and Lucas dancing with a pained expression on his face. Lucas feels my body suddenly tense and he pulls back from me. He doesn't ask what's wrong because he knows. 

He turns around and looks at Teddy, and just like that, Teddy's walking out the door.