CHAPTER 5

The night flies by and I couldn't have enjoyed myself more. The food was delicious, and the views were exquisite. Mom surprised me with the chocolate lava cake for dessert and I hid my face with my hand when she and the waitress started singing 'happy birthday'. I've always hated being the center of attention. Even on my own birthday.

"Thank you again for tonight," I tell her as she signs the bill.

"It was my pleasure, sweetie," she smiles, and I know that she means it, which makes me feel better about dining at a place like this.

Growing up, we didn't have a lot of money. My dad did, but that didn't matter because he left us when I was 7. My mom was always working; even when she was married to him. She always emphasized the importance of making and having your own money, and I guess it gave her purpose.

"I'm going to head to the bathroom before we leave. Meet you in the lobby?"

"Okay. I'll grab our jackets from the coat check. You gave me the tickets, right?"

"Yeah, they're in your wallet."

My mom reaches for her leather accessory and opens it up. "What would I do without you?"

The waitress tells me that the bathroom is a 5-minute walk from the restaurant. She gives me specific directions, and I nod, pretending like I know what she's saying, when really...I suck at navigation.

I make my way up the hill, where a little white hut sits. The door is locked, so I shield my eyes and press my face to the cold window, peeking inside. Only, there's a bunch of gym equipment, and no bathroom. This must be the fitness center.

I whip out my phone from my wristlet to let my mom know that I'm lost, but there's no service where I'm standing.

"Looking for someone?" a voice calls out from behind me.

I twist my body around to find a shadow leaning against the wall, smoking what smells like a joint. There's a lantern right above his head, which lights up his striking features. For starters, those grayish-blue eyes.

"Uh. No. I'm good," I lie. We might be in a private country club, and this guy might be around my age, but I don't know who he is.

"You sure? You seem confused."

"I'm not confused," I snicker. "I'm lost."

He has one leg propped up against the wall, which he puts pressure on to push his back off. He glides toward me; the sleek navy suit that he wears hugging all the right places on his lean yet toned body, and I can smell his delicious scent with each step that he takes in my direction.

His light brown, flawlessly tousled, hair moves with the slight breeze in the air, and it's not until he's standing mere inches from me that I'm able to really take him in. He's got a heart face shape so impeccably sculpted I'm convinced he's a model.

"Fitness center," he points his thumb backwards. "Restaurant," he points ahead. "Lobby," he points to the left. "Still lost?" he asks, his tone a mix of sarcasm and ignorance. Maybe a bit of self-entitlement, too.

"Thanks, but I don't recall asking for your help."

"Suit yourself," he shrugs. He takes another hit of the joint and then drops it to the floor, stepping on it to put it out.

"Classy," I mumble under my breath as he goes to pass me. I don't mean for him to hear me, but I know that he does when he looks over his shoulder, his grayish-blue eyes connecting with my hazel ones.

"You say something?"

"Yeah. Next time, you may want to try not littering."

His eyes go wide, which tells me that he's not used to getting called out on his shit. "Didn't realize I was dealing with a conformist."

"And I didn't realize that I was dealing with a delinquent," I fire back, but all he does is chuckle.

"Someone like you would think that littering is the biggest crime in the world."

I cross my arms and repeat, "Someone like me? You don't even know me."

"Don't have to know you to call it how it is."

I squint my eyes at him. "What's your problem?"

"Me?" he presses his palm to his chest. "Don't have one. I was just trying to help."

"Yeah. You were really good at that," I mock.

He opens his mouth to speak when I suddenly hear, "Lily, is that you?"

I look down the hill where my mom's standing, then turn back to face him, only to find that he's now studying me with a mischievous grin on his face.

"Lily, is it?" he asks, and I hate that he knows my name when I don't even know his.

I scoff and give him an eye roll as I go to pass him. "Whatever. Enjoy your night," is all I say.

"You too, Lily," he smirks, and I throw him a glance over my shoulder as I make my way toward my mom.