CHAPTER 13

Bridget informs me that the majority of the gala will take place inside. In the ballroom, to be exact. Well, it's more of a large, empty space on the first floor of their house, but still.

The only portion of the night that will take place outside is the cocktail hour. My first task of the day is picking up the printed signage that will be mounted on a pedestal in front of the ballroom.

"Bernard will be your driver throughout this entire process. Anywhere you need to go for this job; he'll take you. He should be here any minute," Bridget says. "I have to head out to meet with the florist. Are you okay waiting here?"

"Perfect," I tell her. Bridget has me sitting on a lounge chair with a cup of lemonade and a plate of cookies by my side, so how could I not be?

She presses down on my shoulder and gives me an appreciative pout before heading for the driveway.

I reach for the cup of lemonade when I hear someone whistling behind me. I whip my head around to find Teddy strolling in a pair of plaid shorts and a t-shirt.

"Hey!" I call out from where I'm sitting.

"Got your attention," he says, making a fist and pulling his arm into his waist like he just won something. "Success!"

I start laughing as he makes his way over to me. He takes a seat on the lounge chair beside mine. "I hope my mom's not working you too hard," he says.

"Not at all. If anything, she's been way too kind."

"Oh no, we can't have that. I'll be sure to let her know to start cracking the whip," he teases, and I playfully whack his arm.

"You wouldn't!" I say, and he starts laughing.

"No," he says, shaking his head as his laughter dies down, "I wouldn't."

I study his side profile, and he really is so cute. So carefree and comforting to be around, too.

"So, what are you up to today?" I ask him.

"Don't laugh, but I'm actually headed to the park to take some photos."

"Why would I laugh? That's great."

"Yeah, tell that to Lucas. He claims that I have no life and should find something better to do with my time."

"Well, it doesn't seem like he's one to talk."

Teddy smiles at me. "No, it doesn't." He gazes at me and then says, "Why don't you come with me?"

"I wish, but I have to run an errand for the gala."

"Ah, right. Work mode."

"That's right. But maybe another time?"

"I'd like that," he nods, and now I'm the one gazing at him. There's no doubt that we have a connection. I almost feel like I've known Teddy my whole life. Something about his personality just makes me feel seen; welcomed; worthy.

My phone rings, snapping me out of this moment with him, and I look down at the screen. "Ah, I should get this. It's your mom." I accept the call and then say, "Hi, Bridget."

She tells me that Bernard is stuck in really bad traffic, so he won't make it in time to take me to the printing store before they close.

"Oh, that's okay. I'll just call an Uber," I tell her.

"Actually, I just spoke to Lucas. He's going to take you," she tells me.

"Lucas?" I exclaim and Teddy looks at me with curiosity.

"Mhmm," she says.

"You know, I'm actually with Teddy. I can ask him to ta-," I begin to propose but she cuts me off.

"No, dear, that's okay. This will be good for Lucas."