Beautiful »» Conner Rhodes

Warning: Mentions of depression in this story

My heart is feeling heavy while standing in front of my full length mirror. I'm wearing a pair of pajama shorts and a tank top. I've always struggled with the way that I looked growing up and even had to see a therapist because my depression got so bad. I never thought that I looked pretty or beautiful in any way. That changed when meeting Conner because every single day since we got together he has told me how beautiful I am in his eyes and he will spend every waking moment trying to get me to see what he sees.

We've now been married for five years and already have a one year old daughter. She's the definition of perfection and I love her more than anything. It's so funny because so many family members tell me how my daughter is beautiful and looks just like me. But I can never see myself in her. She's a beautiful little girl and then there's me. There were complications when having her and I had to get a C-section. Now there's a scar left on my stomach.

There's also a scar on my arm from when I was little and fell off my bike. My scars have always made me feel like I wasn't pretty. "Everything okay in here?" I hear, pulling me out of my thoughts. I turn and see Conner entering the bedroom. I just shake my head. He notices that I was staring at myself in the mirror again and comes over to me.

He wraps his arms around me and stares into my eyes. There's a small smile on his face as he tucks a piece of hair behind my ear. "My y/n," he whispers. I look down and he places his finger under my chin, forcing me to look him in the eyes. "You're so incredibly gorgeous. I know you can't see that right now but I do and I'm gonna get you to eventually see what I see." He tells me.

"Conner-" I start but he cuts me off.

"Y/n when I look at you I don't see your scars or flaws. I see the most beautiful woman in the world. I've met so many people in my life but none of them were you. None of them had that gummy smile of yours, or how you don't even realize that you squeeze your eyes shut when laughing. You are the light of my life and I'll forever choose you. Your scars are not your shame, y/n...they are your story and I love stories." He says, all while never breaking eye contact.

There were some tears welling up in my eyes at the kind words. He always knows how to cheer me up when I'm down. I've truly married my best friend, the greatest guy in the world. Without saying a word I pull him into a tight hug. He happily returns it as we stand there in a comfortable silence. I wipe my eyes and pull away to look at him.

"Thank you so much for everything you've ever done for me. I love you so much, Conner. You mean so much to me." I say, my voice quiet. He smiles and places a soft kiss on my lips before pulling away.

"I love you more, beautiful." He replied. I start to say something but suddenly crying could be heard from the baby monitor. "Someone's awake from their nap." Conner grins. He goes and grabs her before coming back with her in his arms.

"Look at mommy," he says to her as her head looks in my direction. "You've got the most beautiful mommy in the world." He tells her and I smile. I lean in and kiss her cheek before taking her and hugging her softly. I'm more than grateful for the little family that I've created for myself. I don't know what I'd do without my amazing husband and perfect daughter.

I just wanted to say that I in no way find scars to be ugly. I have some scars myself from accidents I've had. So I just want all of you with scars to know that you're still beautiful and your scars make you who you are. ❤️

In my opinion I think everyone is beautiful in their own way and this world could use a little more kindness and that's one of the reasons I called this chapter beautiful. I hope you have a great day or night wherever you are.