Tired »» Will Halstead 🚑

Word count; 782

After a long twelve-hour shift with no sleep and a few breaks, I'm heading home. My boyfriend, Will, told me that he would meet me home after his shift ends. My eyes were slowly closing shut on the walk to my car. A cold gust of wind hit me all at once and it woke me up. I shook the tired out and got inside the car. I decided to drive home with the windows down in hopes that the cold air would keep me awake.

It was no use because once on the road, my eyes started closing again. That's when I decide it's not a good idea to drive but as soon as I make the choice to pull over I see a car coming right toward me. That's the only thing I remember before everything became black.

The rest of this story is going to be in Will's Pov

After reassuring my patient his arm isn't broken I leave to go and get his discharge papers ready. As I'm typing them up on the computer I hear Maggie call for Crockett to assist the next patient they're wheeling in. "We got a car crash victim-" the paramedic started to say but Maggie cut him off.

"Oh my god, is that y/n?" She asks. As soon as I hear her name my head shoots up to see they're wheeling my girlfriend in. She's unconscious and covered in glass and blood. My heart starts pounding as I approach her. "Will?" Maggie says but I ignore her.

"Wha- what happened?" I ask, my voice is weak.

"No time for this right now, I'm sorry." Crockett starts. "Halstead I promise you I'm gonna do everything I can to help her."

"Let me help," I demand but Maggie refuses. It didn't matter how much arguing we did because they refused to let me help. I had to watch as they took her away and there wasn't anything I can do for her. I haven't felt this useless in my entire life. Waiting is what killed me as they operated on her in the surgery room. All I'm able to do is pace back and forth in the waiting area just praying she would be okay.

"Hey, I came to check on you. Any updates yet?" Maggie asks as she approaches me. I shake my head no and sit down feeling more stressed than before. I had no idea the car accident was this serious. "If you need anything I'm here. She's tough Will," she tried assuring me. I thanked her for the comforting words but it didn't take away my anxiety. Nothing will until I know if she's okay or not.

About an hour passed when Crockett came walking over to me. Slight relief washed over me seeing him after so long. "I have good news, the surgery went well and she is going to be okay. I want to keep her here just for a few days for observation then she should be free to go home." He tells me. I thank him for all the work he's done and for helping her.

"Am I allowed to see her now?" I asked him. He nods and takes me to her room. My heart hurt seeing her lay there like that, almost lifelessly.  He leaves to give me time with her. I take a seat next to her bed and grab her hand in mine. I'm still piecing together what happened specifically to cause this crash.

It felt like I waited forever but in reality, it was only a couple of hours until she woke up. As soon as her eyes landed on me she smiled slightly. "Hey," she says while sitting up and looking around. "Did...did I crash?" She asks.

"Do you remember what happened?" I ask her while holding her hand even tighter. She tells me that all she can remember is feeling really tired on the way home and decided to pull over but that's all. Everything else is a blur to her. "I'm just so happy that you're okay." I smile. She reaches up and kisses my hand.

"Me too, I'm just really tired." A yawn escapes her lips and I stand up.

"Get some rest," I reassure her before kissing her forehead. "I'll be right here when you wake up."

"Will?" She looks at me with loving eyes. "I love you."

"I love you too, y/n," I reply before she falls back into a deep sleep. This time I'm calm and happy knowing that she's okay and today wasn't the day I'd have to say goodbye to the love of my life.