There for you »» Kelly Severide 🚒

Word count; 680

Brett backed the ambulance into the firehouse before shutting off the engine. She turned her head to look at me but all I could do was stare at my lap sadly. She sighs and rests her hand on my shoulder. "This wasn't your fault." She tries to reassure me even though it didn't work. My heart is torn because we got a call that some man had fallen out a three story window.

When we got there he was barely alive so Brett drove to the hospital while I treated him. I must have done something wrong because he died upon arrival. Wiping my cheek I step out of the truck and make my way to the common room. Everyone is sitting there talking or eating.

They stop when seeing me and sad looks take over their faces. "Brett called us and told us what happened. We're so sorry y/n." Joe tried saying but I threw my hand up not wanting to hear it.

"Y/n this doesn't fall on you, you have to understand that." Stella said.

"How? How can you say that when he died because of me?" I ask, tears welling up in my eyes. Maybe I'm just not cut out for this job. Maybe I should quit.

"Y/n if you need to talk I'm here," Herrmann said. I sigh and blink away my tears.

"Thanks." I let out then headed for the bathroom. I splash some water on my face and take a couple of deep breaths to calm myself. Are they right? Was this all just an accident and none of its my fault? Either way an innocent man is gone and I can't fix that. Dr. Marcel back at MED told me his death wasn't on me but I didn't believe him.

Suddenly the bathroom door opens and in walks Kelly. We've been dating for just a little over a year now. Our one year anniversary was two months ago and he surprised me with a getaway trip to Hawaii. It was beautiful. He leaned against the sink and stared at me.

"Baby," he whispered. "Talk to me."

My heart ached as I wrap my arms around him in a tight hug. He held onto me even tighter and left a soft kiss on the top of my head. We stayed like that for a while until pulling away so he could look me in the eyes. "Kelly he died and it's all my fault." I let out, this time tears are streaming down my cheeks.

"It's okay, I'm here." He says as he holds me. "I'm here. I'll always be there for you. I know it's hard, I know this guilt," he said while pulling away to look at me. "I know how much it can eat away at you but listen to me when I say it won't always be like this. His death was not on you, I promise." He assured me.

"Thank you, for being such an amazing person and for being the worlds greatest boyfriend." I smile softly as I cup his cheek in my hand. He returns the smile and gives me a sweet kiss before pulling away.

"If you need to take the day to process I'm sure Brett would understand." He said and I shook my head no.

"It's okay, I'm okay."

He nodded and kissed my forehead before we went back into the common room. I assured everyone I'm fine and they were very supportive and understanding. It's great getting to work in such an amazing environment. I'm surrounded by the most perfect people.

The next call Sylvie and I got was an elderly woman who burned her hand cooking dinner. We took her to the hospital where she was treated properly. I guess we all just get those days but having Kelly and all my amazing friends helped me get through it.

After shift ended the next morning Kelly took me for breakfast and we made a whole day of it. I'm the luckiest girl in the entire world.