Bad Luck »» Matt Casey 🚒

Word count; 626

Ever since waking up this morning, I've been down on my luck

Ever since waking up this morning, I've been down on my luck. Nothing has worked out for me in the slightest. When getting ready for work after getting up, I slipped in the bathroom and almost broke my arm. Then my coffee maker conveniently stopped working but that isn't the best part. It's cold and snowy outside so I slipped on the sidewalk, falling right on my butt.

Later after getting to work and putting my things away, there wasn't any time for breakfast at all because we immediately had to leave. Truck 81 and ambulance 61 were called in to help a man who got his arm caught in one of those electric saws or something. He's okay and we saved his arm, which I'm counting as my first win today.

It's currently lunchtime as we sit around the table eating. Oddly, I started feeling eyes on me and looked up to find Casey staring at me. Hopefully, it's not about the job this morning although he doesn't look upset or anything. Shrugging it off, I cleaned up my dishes before going to rest for a break until our next call.

Just as I'm closing my eyes I hear Casey call my name causing me to open them again. I sit up and turn to face him. He nods for me to follow him into his office. Sighing my feet fall to the floor and I walk in behind him. He closes the door before turning to face me, giving me his complete attention. It's kind of making me slightly uncomfortable.

"Is something wrong?" I ask with a raised eyebrow.

"No, no...I'm just checking to see if you're okay. Normally you're so energetic and ready for the day, that something seems off. What's wrong if you don't mind me asking?" His arms are crossed over his chest and he's got a concerned look on his face. Does he notice when I'm having an off day? Am I making that obvious or does he really pay attention?

"I'm fine just tired and having an off day. But that will not affect my work in any way." I reassure him. He frowns a bit as if he doesn't believe what I'm saying. "I'm fine."

"You don't have to pretend with me," he says quietly. "I'm not just your boss, I'm...I'm your friend."

Ouch, friend-zoned. Nonetheless, I put on a smile and reassured him one last time that I'll be fine and it was just a weird day. After that, we finished up shift and left first thing in the morning. On my way to my car, a hand reaches out and grabs my shoulder causing me to turn and see Casey. He smiles softly. "Hey, about yesterday-" he starts but I cut him off quickly.

"No it's fine and I'm feeling a lot better today."

"That's good but I wanted to say I just got a bit nervous around you," he stops and try's to find the right words to say next. I frown but give him a moment to collect his thoughts. "I like you y/n, a lot and wanted to know if you'd like to go out sometime?" He asks. A faint smile on my lips appeared after he asked me out and I shook my head Yes.

"I'd love to."

"Perfect. I'll call you." He says before leaving me standing here with a stupidly wide grin on my face.

"Someone looks happy," Cruz smirked.

"Yeah, did Casey finally ask you out?" Kidd winks. I playfully roll my eyes and nod my head yes before heading home happy about the way this shift ended. It may have been a bad day yesterday but today just started off perfectly.