No Power »» Jay Halstead

Word count: 937

My hands gripped what I assume is the kitchen counter while searching for the lighter that we usually keep in a glass bowl with our car keys and random stuff. The power went out due to a bad storm and we would use our phone flashlights but conveniently our phones are dead. The outage happened right as we were watching a movie, wanting to have a date night in since the weather sucks.

"Find the lighter yet? I think I found the candles." Jay yells from the other room.

"Maybe, there's a-" I start to yell but yell out in pain.

"Are you okay? What's wrong?" He asks.

"I stubbed my freaking toe on this stupid kitchen table." I groan and roll my eyes at the pain. I could hear him laugh but he knows how clumsy I am, even in the dark. Finally, we light our candles, bringing light into the house. We used to live in a small one bedroom apartment but since we've been together for a really long time and our relationship is getting serious, we bought a house.

"I think I've got some flashlights in the garage. I'll be right back." He tells me. Nodding my head he walks away with one of the candles. Sighing, I started thinking of things we could do with no power on a date night. There's reading, board games, and telling stories. I'm gonna wait and see what he wants to do. Five minutes pass and I start to get curious as to where he is.

"Jay!" I yell. There's no answer. Just as I'm about to yell again there's a crashing sound and he yells. I grab a candle and rush to see if he's okay. He's on the floor when I walk in, a shelf had fallen on him. "Oh my god, are you okay?"

Stupid question y/n. Of course he isn't okay. "I can't move. You need to call someone and get this off me." He groans in pain. First I call for an ambulance then with his help we get the shelf off him. He sits up and leans against the wall. I sit next to him feeling useless. "I'm so sorry," I let out as if I did this to him.

"No, don't be it's okay. I think my legs are broken though." He sighs. "Some date night." He chuckles at me. A small smirk appears on my face and I rest my head on his shoulder. He wraps his arm around me and holds me close. We stayed like that until the ambulance came and took us to the hospital. He got wheeled in on the stretcher but doctors made me wait outside.

"Y/n?" Will questions when he sees me standing against the wall outside of Jay's room. "What are you doing here?"

"Uh well Jay and I were watching a movie when the power went out so he went to get a flashlight out of the garage. Suddenly this huge shelf fell on him and I called an ambulance. Now here we are. They're doing tests so I have to wait here." I fill him in. He gets worried but knows they won't let him go in there since it's his brother.

"Come sit and I'll let you know as soon as he's done." He reassures me. I nod and thank him. "Is there anything I can get you?" He asks and I shake my head no. Half an hour passes when Will tells me I can go sit with Jay. "Sweetheart." He smiles when seeing me walk in. I hug him then sit next to him.

"I think it's just two broken legs but the tests are almost ready." Will tells us and Jay nods.

"When did you get your power on?" Jay asks his brother.

"The hospitals generators kicked on a few minutes after the outage." He told us.

"We need to get one of those." Jay says to me and I laugh. I thank Will for the help and he nods before leaving the room. "Are you hungry or is there anything I can do for you?" I ask him. He shakes his head no.

The doctor eventually came back in and told us it's two broken legs and bruised ribs but he should be fine. They had to put casts on both his legs and gave him a wheelchair to take home. By that time the storm was over and the power had been restored. Wheeling my now handicapped boyfriend into the house wasn't easy but I did it. Since our bedroom is upstairs he decided to sleep on the couch in the living room.

"Thank you. I know taking care of me isn't going to be easy or fun." He lets out when we're both seated on the couch.

"I'm happy to help you. You'd do the same for me. I love you Jay and I'm happy the situation wasn't worse."

"I love you too baby," he replies. "Plus I get time off work so I'll be able to relax." He admits.

"What are you gonna do while I'm working?" I frown confused. He assured me that he would figure it out and I hope he's right.

"Now," he grabs the remote from the side table next to the couch. "Shall we finish this movie?" He asks. I smile and shake my head yes. My head rests on his shoulder as we finish our movie before going to bed. It's strange not sleeping next to him at night but we'll be fine. I'm just so happy that he's okay.