Moving on »» Kelly Severide

My heart feels kind of heavy as I'm packing up yet another box. I've lived in this small two bedroom apartment for nearly two years and here I am leaving it all behind. I was born and raised here in Chicago but after the year I've had...I need a fresh start. The start of the year was perfect, I had a great job and an incredible boyfriend, and amazing friends. About two weeks ago I lost my job because of an injury that just made it impossible for me to work.

Kelly and I have been off and on dating this year and just fought too much. It felt like we were starting to grow apart and as much as it pains me, I have to let him go. We agreed to make it final this time, no getting back together. The only thing I've got going for me is I never lost my friends. In fact some of them should be coming over soon to help me finish packing.

As if on cue, there's loud knocks on my front door. I stand up off the floor and go answer it to see Stella and Sylvie. I greet them before letting them inside. We head to the kitchen where I pour us some glasses of wine. "Where do you want us to start?" Sylvie asks. I look around at the mess and laugh.

"Wherever you want. Appliances like my toaster and microwave go in that big box over there." I point.

"I hate to see you leave. We're gonna miss having you around." Stella sighs then takes a drink. I give her a warm smile.

"I know but that's what FaceTime is for." I tease. She nods and they get to work. We get quite a lot done before they leave and I head to bed. The next morning after waking up. I run a few errands then pack up the moving truck. Today is the day I'm leaving and moving away. It wouldn't be such a big deal if I was staying in Illinois but I'm moving out of state. I'm gonna miss my friends and family but they understand my decision.

I head to the truck with two small boxes in my hands and load them up. I head back inside and grab the last big heavy box from the living room. It was big and I wasn't paying much attention because the next thing I know, I'm on the ground and the box falls. Luckily there's nothing breakable in there.

I look up to see who caused my fall and my eyes slightly widen seeing it's Kelly. He gives me an apologetic look while saying sorry and helping me back to my feet. "I'm fine thank you." I say while standing. "What are you doing here?"

"I needed to see you before you go. Y/n we have been through a lot this year and I care about you more than anyone in my life. I know this is selfish but please stay. Don't leave...don't leave me. I love you." He begs me. It all caught me off guard and I'm standing here looking at him in shock. I thought we agreed to call it quits for good. Now here he is begging me to stay.

I stare into his eyes and relive this past year with him, all the bad and good. It made me see that I do love him so much and if he would have asked sooner I would have said yes with no hesitation. But if I say yes then we'd be repeating this cycle of off and on and that's just toxic. We need time apart, even if that takes years. My quietness made him more anxious so I spoke.

"Kelly I love you too and I'll always care about you. But no. I can't stay because you want me back. We need to spend time away from each other and grow as people. If it's meant to be then we'll be together again, as for now I've got to go." I say and pain filled his eyes.

"I'll miss you," he says quietly.

"Then don't be a stranger." I say before hugging him. He hugs me back tighter. "Call anytime." I whisper.

"Of course." He replied before we pull away. I smile at him and kiss his cheek before putting my stuff in the truck and closing it up.

"Talk soon?" I smile. He nods and sends me off with one last goodbye. I hop in the truck and drive away. Off to start a new journey. I smile while staring out the rear view mirror. This is me starting a new life. This is me moving on.