Already gone »» Connor Rhodes 🚑

Word count; 709
This whole chapter is in his POV

She laughed as his arms wrapped tightly around her body. The sight made me sad so I looked anywhere else but at them. I've been in love with y/n for such a long time and she has no idea. It's too late for me to make a move now because she's dating Will Halstead. The two of them have been together for the past year and a half.

He makes her happy and that's all I've ever wanted. For her to be happy. They walked into the hospital together as I followed in behind them. As I'm making my way through the ED, I feel a hand on my arm causing me to turn and see her. She's so beautiful. "Hey, you seem lost, are you okay?" She asked me.

"Yeah, we should get to work though," I pointed in the direction of a patient being wheeled in on a gurney. A frown formed on her face but she nodded and we got to work. That's the worst part about it all. We're both trauma surgeons and have to see each other everyday. She doesn't understand what her presence does to me.

"What do we got?" I asked as the paramedics rolled this young looking man in.

"Alex Fields. He's a 22yr old male. He's the victim to a hit and run."

After getting him on the operating table in the hybrid OR, y/n and I got to work. It took a few hours but he pulled through and is going to make a full recovery. I'm happy about that and happy that he wasn't worse. We got him a room up in the ICU and watched as he got wheeled away.

"Good work," y/n said and I sighed.

"Yeah, you too." I nodded.

"Excuse me guys, can I talk to you for a minute." Jay asked as he approached us. "We're looking for the driver that hit Alex Fields." He told us. We answered whatever we could before he thanked us and left. After he left I went into the break room and took in a deep breath.

As much as I love my job, I'm not sure how much more of this I can take. It's one tragedy after another. My mental health is only decreasing day by day. My heart ached when seeing Will kissing y/n. Thats another reason I've got to leave. Seeing her with someone else hurts too much.

It's not that easy to just stop loving her. I can't. Believe me when I say that I've tried everything yet I'm always finding myself going back to her. I closed my eyes as they welled up with tears that I wouldn't let fall. The sound of the door opening got my attention and I looked to find y/n.

"Conner what's wrong?" She asked worriedly.

"I'm fine. Why are you asking me that?"

"Because your crying." She pointed out. I wiped my face and went over to my locker where all my things are. She watched as I grabbed everything out of it. "What are you doing?"

"Quitting," I turned to face her. "I'm sorry but I can't do this anymore. Y/n I've been in love with you for years and you haven't noticed. But I just never said anything because your dating Will. I gotta go." I explained then started making my way out.

"No! You can't leave." She grabbed my arm, stopping me from going any further. I sighed and looked at her.

"I can and I am. Goodbye y/n." I gave her an apologetic look before walking out of the hospital. After getting into my car I drove off. Not sure where I'm going specifically but I'm sure I'll find my way. There's nothing anyone, not even y/n, can do about me being in love with her.

Life is just going to move on and eventually so will I. But until then I'm going to have to say goodbye to the only girl I've ever felt like this for. Loving y/n has been one of the hardest things I've ever done but I'm pretty sure that letting her go is gonna be worse.