an unforgettable homecoming

It was october 15th, 2024. Sulphur Springs high school homecoming. Harper and Griffin decided to travel to that date to see if they had fixed the future. They carefully snuck into the school to see themselves being crowned homecoming king and queen.

"Homecoming king? I say you're doing better than okay. Plenty people must like you," Harper said, as she glanced at Griffin.

"I don't care about other people," He blurted out.

Griffin's face turned bright red, knowing he shouldn't have said. Luckily, Harper just smiled and quickly went back to look back at the scene. Before they knew it, they managed to spot their future selves leaving the crowd.

"Come on," Griffin said, as we left and followed them.

As they went up the bleachers, they heard voices. Once they had a clear view of the field, they saw their future selves, twirling and spinning around.

"Definitely still friends," Griffin smiled, relieved that their friendship is fixed.

However, what happened next shocked them. They saw future Griffin pulled Harper close and they kissed. Harper didn't know what to think of it. Her face was red for sure, but not as red as Griffin's. After their future selves pulled away, they were still stunned.

"Not just friends," Harper, smirked.

She glanced at Griffin, who was avoiding eye contact completely.

"Royalty," She joked.

She saw his head whipped back around when he heard her joke. They both shared a laugh, before Griffin continued.

"Do you think any cool perks come with the job? You know like reserve parking or prime seating in the lunchroom?" He joked, making Harper giggle.

"Yeah. Guess we'll have to wait a few years to find out," She said.

Just as she said that, Griffin took a deep breath. Why? Cause what he was about to is either gonna end up bold or stupid.

"Why wait for the future? We're already here," He said.

With more courage, he took a step closer to Harper. He glanced down at her lips then back to her eyes. Harper did the same too. And just like that, they felt their lips press together. It was happening! The kiss lasted for a few seconds before they pulled away. Their faces were both flushed, still flustered about what just happened.

Harper glanced down at the field to see their future selves were nowhere to be found. She assumed they already returned back inside.

"We should go," Harper said, as she started making her way down the bleachers.

Griffin nodded, following right behind her. As they made their way down the empty hallway, there was a void of awkward silence. The two best friends didn't say anything to the other, still processing what just happened earlier. Then out of nowhere, they heard a faint voice. As they approached the venue of the homecoming dance, the voice grew louder. Curious as they were, they peeped through the window to see Zoey, standing on a platform with a mic in her hand.

"Alright everyone! I know that the end of the homecoming but of course we can't end the night without dancing to one more song right?"

The crowd cheered, agreeing with her.

"Well then, here's our final song! Grab your friends or that special someone and get on the dance floor!" She said, as she went off the platform.

Just then, a song began to play and everyone hurried to the dance floor. Harper heard this song before but what was it? She couldn't figure it out. Well, until she heard the lyrics...