Chapter fourteen

Do I wanna know? If this feeling flows both ways. Sad to see you go, was sorta hoping that you'd stay. Baby we both know. That the nights were mainly made for saying things that you can't say tomorrow day.

(Ollie's pov)

After the Brazilian GP I didn't see Sofia for quite a while. We did text everyday and facetimed as much as we could, but it just wasn't the same. I did get to keep something of hers though. Sofia had forgotten her hair tie at my room that night, and I had decided to keep it as long as possible. I always had it around my wrist. Arthur was the only one who noticed, and well the less people knew the better.

I knew that the journalists would go crazy. They always do. Everytime something happens to me, there is an article about it. Last time, when I was announced to race for Haas at fp1 in Mexico, there were at least five articles about how I didn't deserve it, or that it should have been someone else.

And I knew that if even the smallest thing got leaked about me and Sofia ,before making it official, it would backflash at Sofia really badly.

Every time me and Arthur talked about Sofia we made sure that nobody heard it. We might have looked a bit suspicious and weird, but it was always worth it.

...

It was now time for the Spanish grand prix in Barcelona. Arthur had been hanging out with Carla way less than they used to. I was getting kind of worried about my best friend but I don't think I could do anything to help them. I was trying to make him feel better by inviting him to everything I could.

This was going on for a few weeks before they finally broke up. Carla really timed it good. They broke up an hour before the Spanish GP and somehow this made Arthur gain a different kind of confidence in the car. At the qualy round he was the fastest person which guaranteed him a pole start.

"Arthur! Hey congrats on the pole! Are you feeling any better?" Arthur was walking quickly down the paddock, and stormed into his cool down room, without answering the question. 

I could see the journalists going right after him, but they weren't allowed in the cool down room.

I went after the boy without hesitation.

"Arthur, can you open the door?" Still no answer. I tried knocking. As my hand was about to hit the door, Arthur opened it. He pulled me into the room before anyone would notice the open door.

"What do you want mate!" Arthur screamed in my face. He said it very loud but quiet enough for the journalist to not notice.

I didn't even get to answer before Arthur broke down. I could understand him very well. And concluded that he needed a hug. I walked over to him and threw my arms around him.

It wasn't an usual thing to see a formula driver in tears. Well of course if your name isn't George Russell. But that's not the important thing here. It was the first time I had seen Arthur in this situation. I made sure to roll down his windows and to lock the door. Normally after a race someone would come in and check the condition of a driver, to make sure he didn't get hurt in any way, even if he didn't crash.

Paul started to knock on the door.

"Guys, can I come in? The tv is literally chasing me"

I tried not to laugh. Paul sounded panicked, but he did get on p2, so he should have expected interviewers.

"Arthur, can I let him in? You know your room is the closest to the track."

He only nodded. Didn't say a word.

I let Paul in and Arthur went to the other room.

"Bro, why didn't you warn me that journalists would go crazy if you got anywhere on the podium. I was literally chased down the track and then into the paddock!"

I was really about to burst out laughing.

It was Paul's first time scoring high. He usually finished in the top 5, but top 3 was something new for him. The Sky Sports reporter was literally knocking on the door, while the three of us were hiding. I don't think any of us wanted to talk to the interviewers. At least not now.

While Paul was complaining about the journalists, Arthur finally went out of the room. He was looking better, but I knew it was just an act.