•32•

The time hunted her. It frightened hell out of her.

Where was he? Why hadn't he come back? Was he okay?
Why wasn't he picking up her calls? Why wasn't he replying her texts? Why did he switch of his phone?
What was going on?

It was almost one in the morning and be wasn't back.
He said he'd be back by 9.

She was restless. She couldn't sleep. No matter how hard she'd tried. She'd gotten used to being cuddled to sleep and she was too disturbed to even try.

She'd gone from angry to confused to angry again and then sad.

Why was he doing this? It seemed like torture. Had she offended him somehow, unknowingly to her?

"Senora, do you need something?" Nieves' voice startled her.

"No. Not at all. I'm sorry, did I wake you up."

"I came to get water. I was surprised to see you awake."

"Oh. It's nothing," she held her blanket closer to her. "I'm just waiting for Kaden to come home," she admitted.

"Didn't he inform you?"

"Inform me? That what?"

"He called and said that he was returning very late. Said I shouldn't make dinner for him or wait up."

"He called you?"

When Nieves said yes, she felt something like a knife in her chest.
What was going on?

"Oh...thank you. Please, don't let me disturb you from your rest."

There were tears in her eyes when Nieves left.
She looked at her phone.
1:00am.
His gorgeous face on her lock screen.

"Te lo he dicho mil veces, José. ¡Estoy manejando esto como jodidamente quiero! No tienes derecho a interrogarme!"

His voice startled her.
He sounded feral. She didn't recognize it at all.
She looked at him, as he kept talking on the phone harshly and walking in further into the sitting room.
He hadn't seen her.
It was relatively dark as just one side lamp was illuminating the large living room.

"I'm done having this conversation with you, Jose," he said in English and cut the call.
He ran his fingers through his hair and cursed in Spanish.
She just started at him and then he saw her and she didn't know if she was hallucinating, but she saw him clench his jaw in anger.

"Jayda."
He called her by her name for the first time in a long time in a way that made her heart skip a beat in something close to fear.

"You're very late," she got up, letting the blanket drop from her body.

"And you're still awake," his voice was impassive.

"I wanted to wait up for you."
"I missed you," she added. After a beat.

"I bet you did," he deadpanned and turned to leave.

"Kaden..." She was speechless as he walked away from her.
"Kaden!"
She didn't understand. What had she done?

"Did I do something to offend you?" Was the first thing she asked when she entered the room after him.

He took off his shoes and jacket, ignoring her.

"Kaden, what the fuck?"

She watched him as he took off his wristwatch and his shirt.

"Kaden!"

"What!" He yelled back at her, making her flinch. "Isn't it clear that I do not want to talk to you right now?"

"Why? What did I do? I'm the one that's meant to be angry. You said you were going to come back by 9 and surprise, surprise, it's almost 2am. I called you countlessly and texted you like a crazy person. You didn't respond once and next I know, your phone's switched off. And then I make a discovery that you spoke to Nieves, meaning you ignored me on purpose. For what fucking reason, Kaden?"

"I owe you an explanation?"

"Yes, you do. You fucking do. You have no right to keep me locked up in your huge mansion and leave me pining and waiting for you to come home like I'm your pet."

"You're not locked up. You can do whatever you please. You're free to leave if you also must. I didn't lock you up."

Ouch.

"I'm free to leave?" She let out a scoff laughter. "Are you serious right now, Kaden?"

He took a deep breathe.
"I'm not in the mood for this, Jayda," he sat on the bed.

She looked at him, incredulous.
Was this really happening? She thought she'd gotten rid of toxic relationships and toxic people in her life.

This wasn't her Kaden.
It couldn't be. Something was utterly wrong somewhere.
They were more than okay this morning. Or rather, yesterday.
Maybe it was something about work. It has to be. Her Kaden would never do this. He would never make her feel this. He would never disrespect her like this.

She walked closer to him on the bed. He had his arms resting on his lap and his head bent, staring at the ground.
And then she smelt it. The sweet, feminine, foreign smell of roses.
No.
That wasn't right. His signature smell was something in-between the smell of ice and a manly smell of perfumed sandalwood.
A very unusual scent, but that was what she could describe it as.

She took her one hand to his hair. And her heart felt heavy.
It was damp. Towel dried damp.

And she drew her conclusion.

She backed away. Slowly.

"I'm going to sleep in Kirari's room tonight. Good night.

He didn't spare a glance at her as she left the room.

Her sob was audible. Too loud even when she was in Kira's room.
She locked the door and threw herself on the bed as she cried.

It all made sense now.
Why else hadn't he had sex with her all this time they'd been together?

He had someone else. Clearly.

Why else would he come home this late? Hair wet. Smelling feminine.

How was she so wrong about him? Had he been lying all this time? Telling her that he loved her, taking care of her, all the cuddles, all their fun, romantic moments. Was it all a lie?
What was his game? Why would he lead her on like this? Why would he make her fall for him like this?
And how didn't she see?
How didn't she see how fast everything went? How unreal it had all been and felt. How love bombed she has been?

Why?
Was all she could ask as she cried and she tried to make up another reason why he would smell so feminine with wet hair and come home so late.
But all the reasons were ridiculous. They were a farce. They weren't true and she cried more.

How did she get into this?
Star and now him.
It was like jumping from frying pan to fire. And it was fucking painful.
Because she loved him. And for the first time, she hated being sure about something. She didn't want to feel surety anymore.
Because it hurt how much she sure that she loved him and how hard she had fallen for him.

Why not someone else?
Why was it always toxic people?

She whimpered and sniffed.
"I'm so fucking stupid," were the words she repeated over and over again as she cried until she fell asleep.

NB: this chapter isn't edited.

Hehe, bet you didn't see this one coming.
What's going on?

What's your zodiac?

-Jayda