chapter 126

VIVIAN STARED DOWN AT THE GUN THAT RICK HAD GIVEN HER BEFORE THEY LEFT FOR THE DRY RUN.

He didn't say much, standing next to her on the porch while holding it out for her. Last time she held a gun, she used it to kill Aiden.

"I know it's just a practice run... but anything can happen out there." She stated,

Rick nodded, "I know. That's why I'm givin' you this." He squeezed her arm, "Keep your guard up." He told her before walking down the steps.

She watched him walk away with a heavy sigh. He was coming around, but not like he used to. In her mind, she was just the nanny to him.

And as much as she loves these kids, she can do so much more.

Carl went to take Judith on a walk while Vivian began making lunch for the kids. They didn't have school today due to the mission a large portion of their community was on.

Once the Grimes children were back and fed, Carl took Judith back to their house for a nap. Vivian offered for her to have it here, but he had to get some chores done that Rick wanted him to do before he got back.

Vivian watched them go with a sigh. Ever since she moved out, it was like Carl was pulling away. And she didn't want him to pull away.

Debbie and Vivian were finishing up the dishes while Liam played in the living room. It almost felt like old times, back in Chicago. The boys playing on an old gaming system that Vivian bought at a pawn shop for Christmas while Debbie wanted to spend time with their older sister. 

She wondered if they would get snow that year, maybe they could get a Christmas tree. And where would it go? In the corner by the front windows facing the street? Vivian was sure that Debbie would have a good idea on where to put it.

Maybe they could find some ornaments somewhere. Stockings? She wanted the kids to have somewhat normal memories to hang onto that didn't involve dead people and barely surviving on squirrel meat.

Vivian's thoughts were interrupted by screams. 

Blood curling, horrifying screams.

The two rushed over to the window and spotted bodies littering the streets, blood splattered on the asphalt. The bodies of their people.

"What's going on?" Debbie asked, fear in her voice.

Vivian went to lock the front door before grabbing Liam, "C'mon, upstairs." She herded the two children up the stairs, trying not to panic.

This is what Rick was afraid of. Of him not being around and the community getting attacked.

She set Liam on his feet and Debbie grabbed his hand while Vivian took the gun out from her waistband. Vivian quickly ushered them to her bedroom, to the closet and opened the door,

"Stay here." Vivian whispered to her sister and Liam, 

"Where are you going?" Debbie asked, her voice cracking and tears in her eyes,

"I need to get to Carl and Judith."

She had promised Lori and Rick she would protect them. And as much as it hurt leaving Debbie and Liam in there, she needed to get to them.

"Please, don't leave." Debbie begged,

"I'll be back." She promised, "Stay here, and stay quiet." Vivian grabbed the revolver that Carol gave her many weeks ago, the one she kept on the top shelf in her closet, and handed it to Debbie, "If someone tries to come through that door, you point and you shoot."

"I can't." 

"Yes, you can." Vivian urged, knowing she was loosing time.

Liam curled into Debbie's torso, tears filling his eyes, "Please, don't go, mommy."

She cupped his face, "I gotta go kill the monsters, baby. I'll be okay." Vivian kissed his forehead, her heart breaking as she pulled away and shut the door.

She prayed Rick and the others would be back soon. Most of the people inside the walls can't fight.

They were all gonna get slaughtered.

Vivian quietly walked down the stairs, her finger hovering over the trigger as she heard the front door break open. Vivian listened to the clattering going on down in the kitchen and held her breath.

The stair creaked and Vivian mentally cursed. She quickly made it to the bottom and hid behind a wall.

She spotted a man covered in dirt and blood rummaging through the closets. She didn't know what he was looking for, probably them.

He stood and Vivian saw the blade in his hand. If they didn't have guns, she might have a chance.

He disappeared around a corner and when Vivian went to follow him, he was gone.

A loud horn went off and Vivian turned, distracted by the noise. A loud cry sounded behind her and Vivian turned to the see the man running at her, his arm raised.

Vivian ducked, barely avoiding the blade. He pushed her back and she slammed against the cupboard, loosing her grip on her gun, "Shit!"

She kicked his hand, forcing him to let go of the knife, giving her a little bit more time. Vivian tried to crawl towards her gun, but the man grabbed her ankle and pulled her back. 

The man climbed on top of her and Vivian attempted to hit him. She kneed him in the crotch and he grunted in pain, falling to the side.

Vivian took advantage of the moment and grabbed her gun. And she stood and raised it, the man appeared in front of her and sent the blade into her stomach.

Vivian gasped, pulling the trigger into the man's skull. Blood and brain matter splattered across the kitchen and his body collapsed onto the hardwood.

Her hands shook as she lowered the gun, and her gaze moved to her stomach, to the knife that stuck out from her skin.

"Fuck." She hissed, dropping her gun so she could put pressure against the wound as blood began to soak her shirt.

Vivian slid to the ground, her back against the counter as she stared at the man's body.

She prayed that Carl and Judith were okay. That the others were get back soon to protect them.

And if she wasn't going to make it, at least Liam and Debbie were safe. She'd apologise to Lori when she'd see her. And Jillian and Trevor, too.

But Liam would have family. Finn would take care of him.

"'m sorry." Vivian whispered, leaning her head back as the dizziness from the blood lost settled in.

She watched as the puddle of her blood grew, spreading across the hardwood. 

Vivian wished someone would put her down before she turned and attacked her sister. Her gaze moved to her gun, which was only a few feet away, but felt like it was too far.

She moved to grab it, crying out in pain as she laid on the floor. Her blood soaked her shirt and her hair now, but she needed to be the one to do it.

It couldn't be Carl, it couldn't be Finn. It needed to be her.

But before her fingertips could reach the gun, everything went dark.