chapter 45

THEY HAD BEEN ON THE ROAD FOR AROUND SIX MONTHS

At least, that's what Vivian guessed based on the size of Lori's stomach. All the days blurred together, it was hard to keep track.

Everyone had changed in their own way. Living on the road, moving every day, you had to change. Even Liam had changed. Vivian guessed he was about three now, or close to it. He had gotten bigger, and they struggled to find clothes that fit him. He was still diaper dependent unfortunately, there wasn't exactly a toilet around for them to potty train him in.

Carl had gotten bigger, too. Older. His hair grew longer and he grew colder. After the farm, he and Rick grew further from Lori, and Vivian knew it was affecting the pregnant woman. She tried her best to be there for her, but Lori insisted she was fine.

And Daryl, he was becoming Rick's right hand man, replacing Shane and Marcie. He was becoming a big person in the group, but he was still distant emotionally. Loosing Marcie had a big impact on him, which surprised everyone.

But Maggie and Vivian knew Marcie meant so much more to him than the others realised.

Winter was hard on everyone. The cold affected everyone's mood, with no real way to get warm, no home to settle down in.

Spring had come, and they were able to shed the thick layers. Vivian couldn't wait for summer, but deep down she knew she was going to complain about the heat when it came.

All the cars came to a stop in the middle of the road after they had left the last house they stopped at. Vivian held Liam's hand as they walked towards the green Hyundai, he insisted that he could walk himself.

The group gathered around the hood of the car, and Glenn laid out a map of the state, "We've got no place left to go." T-Dog stated,

"When this herd meets up with this one, we'll be cut off, we'll never make it south." Maggie sighed,

Daryl glanced over to Glenn, "What you say, it's about 150 head?"

"That was last week, could be twice that now." He replied,

"This river could have delayed them. If we move fast, we might have a shot to tear right through this." Hershel suggested, pointing at the nearest body of water to them,

"Yeah, but if this group joins with that one, they could spill out this way." T-Dog countered,

"So we're blocked." Vivian sighed, lifting Liam onto her hip,

"Only thing to do is double back at 27th and swing towards Greenville." Rick stated,

"We picked through that already, it's like we spent the winter going in circles."