chapter 78

MARCIE STARED DOWN AT THE  UNRECOGNISABLE CORPSES THAT LAID ON THE CONCRETE GROUND,

Rick, Daryl, and Carol had joined her after Tyresse came to find them, his face filled with anger and grief.

Because one of them was Karen, his girlfriend.

It was recent, too. Smoke was still rising from the corpses. Two gas cans laid in the corner of the small courtyard.

Someone used their resources to murder two of their own.

"You found them like this?" Rick asked him,

"I came to see Karen..." Tyreese pointed towards the streaks of blood on the ground, "and I saw the blood on the floor. Then I smelled them." His calm demeanour disappeared, "Somebody dragged them out here and set them on fire! They killed them and set them on fire!"

Tyresse stepped up to Rick, which startled him backwards. Daryl stepped up behind the large man in case he attacked the sheriff, "You're a cop. You find out who did this and you bring 'em to me. You understand? You bring 'em to me!"

Daryl grabbed his arm, "We'll find out who-"

Tyreese pushed him away without taking his eyes off of Rick, "I need to say it again?"

"No. No." Rick shook his head, "I know what you're feeling. I've been there. You saw me there. It's dangerous."

"Karen didn't deserve this! David didn't deserve it! Nobody does!"

Marcie was worried that in his grief, he would end up lashing out against Rick.

Daryl stepped forward and grabbed Tyreese again, "All right, man, let's-"

He turned and pushed Daryl up against the wall, "Man, I ain't going nowhere till I find out who did this!"

 Marcie reached for her knife and Daryl held out a hand to tell them to stay back,

"We're on the same side, man." The hunter told him,

Rick approached him slowly from behind, "Hey, look, I know what you're going through. We've all lost someone. We know what you're going through right now, but you've got to calm down."

The moment Rick placed a hand on Tyreese, the large man turned his aggression on him, pushing him back, "You need to step the hell back!"

"She wouldn't want you being like this."

Marcie let out a gasp as Tyreese landed a hard punch to Rick's jaw, "Stop!" Rick steadied himself before Tyreese punched him again, "Stop!"

Daryl wrapped his arms around Tyreese, trying to subdue him, "That's enough." The hunter grunted, "That's enough."