chapter 89

THAT GUNSHOT WOULD HAUNT VIVIAN FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE.

What would've happened if she didn't take Liam away? What would've happened to Marcie and Judith if they didn't go into the house?

Would Mika have lived? Or would Lizzie have killed all of them? Would she have gone after Judith?

She spent the rest of the day digging two graves. Carol and Tyreese grabbed sheets to cover their bodies and brought them over to the front of the house.

They couldn't stay here. Not anymore. Not with the ghosts haunting this place. The memories that lived in the rooms.

They let Carol bury them. It had to be her.

Liam placed the flowers he picked over the graves. Vivian knew he didn't understand. He kept asking for Mika, wanting to play with her.

But she was gone.

That night, Carol came clean to Tyreese about killing Karen and David. It was news to Marcie, but not for Vivian. She spent the night packing up, grabbing diapers and pecans for them to eat. She didn't want to stay there longer than they have to.

The next morning, they stood in front freshly dug graves. Carol didn't stare directly at the piles of dirt, just looking down at her boots.

Vivian took a few steps forward, placing the little redhead doll on Mika's grave. She didn't deserve to go out that way. She was too innocent, too naive.

They should have seen it sooner. They knew something was wrong with Lizzie, but they placed it as childish ignorance.

But it was so much more than that, and they all paid the price. Mika more than the others.

Marcie adjusted the carrier Judith was placed in on Tyreese's back, making sure the baby was okay before they set off.

Liam held his mother's hand as they made their way out of the fences, back towards the tracks. He glanced back at the house, wondering where his friend went.

"C'mon, kiddo." Vivian lifted the toddler from the ground and balanced him on her hip, wanting to pick up the pace.

She wanted to get away from there as fast as they could.

They walked the track for hours, not stopping for anything. They were ready to find their people, Marcie was ready to find Daryl.

She hoped they went to Terminus. 

She learned her lesson. Next time, they need to make a rendezvous point.

The group paused to change the kids around. Tyreese carried Liam while Vivian had Judith in the carrier against her chest. Marcie and Carol carried their bags, wanting to carry their weight.