chapter 39

THE GROUP, INCLUDING THE GREENES, WERE GATHERED AROUND THE FRESHLY DUG GRAVE,

Vivian clutched Liam to her side, still covered in dirt from the night before. The temperature had dropped considerably, but the cold didn't bother her at that moment. All she could focus on was the body that was buried in the hole she dug, and the heartache and disappointment she felt.

"Dale could... could get under your skin." Rick spoke at the makeshift funeral they were having for the old man, "He sure got under mine, because he wasn't afraid to say exactly what he thought, how he felt. That kind of honesty is rare and brave. Whenever I'd make a decision, I'd look at Dale. He'd be looking back at me with that look he had. We've all seen it one time or another." Rick glanced around at everyone and he paused when he made eye contact with Vivian, "I couldn't always read him, but he could read us." He stated, not breaking the gaze they were holding, "He saw people for who they were. He knew things about us- The truth...Who we really are. In the end, he was talking about losing our humanity." She moved her gaze to Liam after he began getting fussy, "He said this group was broken. The best way to honor him is to unbreak it. Set aside our differences and pull together, stop feeling sorry for ourselves and take control of our lives... Our safety...our future. We're not broken. We're gonna prove him wrong. From now on...We're gonna do it his way. That is how we honor Dale."

The group broke up after Rick's inspiring words. Marcie went with T-Dog, Andrea, Shane, and Daryl to inspect the fences, making sure they were strong and holding up.

"You okay?" Daryl asked as they sat in the back of the pick up, an arm wrapped around her waist to keep her steady,

Marcie nodded, giving him a small smile, "Mhmm."

They came across a group of walkers feeding off a cow, and Shane quickly put the truck in park. Marcie grabbed the hatchet that was laying on the truck bed and slid out. The five of them approached the biters and everyone took on their own.

Marcie stared at the female walker that reached for her. Once it was close, she kicked the leg of the biter, knocking it to the ground. Raising the hatchet, Marcie brought it down on the biter's head.

Daryl watched as she delivered multiple blows to the corpse, even after the walker went still. After its' brains were splattered amongst the weeds.

He walked over and placed his hand on her back. Marcie lowered the weapon, panting heavily. She glanced back at Daryl before walking back over to the truck, waiting for the others.

T-Dog went up to Daryl, "She good?"

"Nah. Don't think so."

Once the truck pulled up back at the camp, Hershel, Maggie, and Rick approached the vehicle,