chapter 93

MARCIE WENT WITH DARYL AND CAROL IN SEARCH FOR WATER.

Rick took a few of the others to get food, and the rest stayed behind. Some to protect Eugene, and others to protect the kids.

She wasn't sure about Abraham and his mission to get Eugene to Washington. Sure, he talked all smart, but that wasn't proof that he had the cure to this whole thing.

There wasn't a cure. And even if there was, there wasn't a cure to turn back time and bring them back to their original selves from before this whole end-of-the-world thing happened.

They've all changed, not just the dead.

And now they were gonna risk it all to get this man to Washington D.C? It was a long ways away up the coast, and who knows what they were gonna encounter on the way.

"Hey, I get it. You don' want to talk about it. You okay?" Daryl broke the silence as he glanced over to his friend,

"Gotta be." Carol answered,

"We get to start over. All of us with each other." Marcie knew he was talking about what happened at the prison before it fell, between Carol, Karen, and Tyreese, "You saved us, the both of ya."

"We got lucky." The older woman replied, "We all should be dead." They came across a dusty old sedan that was partially off the road. Carol sighed, "I'll check it."

"All right." 

Daryl stood off to the side, with Marcie sitting on the ground, gallons of milk bottles full of water sat on the concrete by her legs while Carol grabbed the keys from inside the car and began to dig in the trunk,

"Hey." Daryl got Carol's attention, "We ain't dead. And whatever happened, happened. Let's start over."

"I want to." The woman mumbled,

"Well, you can."

She turned to them, "We should leave this here for backup in case things go south at the church." Carol closed the trunk and Marcie stood.

She grabbed one of the bottles and it slid from her fingers. Marcie watched as it fell to the ground and spilled onto the concrete below.

Marcie felt her chest tightening up as the water leaked from the bottle.

She was too tired to pick it up. She was too tired for much of anything.

"Hey, hey." Daryl handed his bottles over to Carol before stepping over to Marcie, cupping her face and forcing her to look at him, "Are you okay?"

"'M sorry." She mumbled, tears filling her eyes.

She wasted water. Water they desperately needed to keep going. To survive.