chapter 96

MARCIE STAYED SILENT AS DARYL SPED DOWN THE ROAD

Carol, however, questioned Daryl about what happened to Beth, what happened after the prison fell.

They were miles away from the church by now, and Marcie began to wonder how they were going to find their way back. If they make it out of this.

"So it was just you and Beth after?"

"Yeah."

"You save her?"

"She's tough. She saved herself. We were out there for a while. We got cornered, she got out in front of me an'... I don' know, she was gone. I came out and a car's pullin' out with a white cross on the window." Daryl explained,

"Just like that one?"

"Yep."

"Rick's gonna wonder where we went." Marcie stated, speaking up for the first time after getting into the car, "What if they move on without us? How are we supposed to find them?"

Daryl glanced over at her, "We'll find them. We always do." He turned his gaze back to the road, where the red taillights were a ways ahead of them, "After we find Beth."

Carol peered her head between the seats, "Tank's running low." She commented, looking at the dashboard, "We can end this quick. Just run him off the road."

"Nah, we're good for a bit." Daryl replied,

"If they're holding her somewhere, we can get it out of the driver." Carol suggested,

"Yeah, but if he don't talk, we're back to square one." The hunter explained, "Right now we got the advantage. We'll see who they are. If they're a group, see what they can do. And then we'll do what we gotta do to get her back."

Marcie leaned forward and narrowed her eyes, trying to read the road signs, "They're heading north, I-85." She commented,

They're heading towards the city, towards Atlanta.

Marcie got nervous. She had never had a good experience in Atlanta after the world ended.

They followed the car into the city, where it eventually stopped in the middle of an intersection. Daryl braked a ways behind and Marcie reached for her knife.

Did they see them?

"What the hell's he waitin' for?" Daryl asked after watching the car for a minute,

The car eventually turned off and a man got out of the passenger seat, "There's two of 'em." He noticed some sort of bulky uniform that the man was wearing, "Is that a cop?"

Carol got her pistol out and the couple in the front glanced back at her, Daryl with a questioning look on his face, "They might've seen us."

The man in the uniform walked away, and went down the street where the trio couldn't see him. They waited for any sort of movement. The driver didn't exit the car, and the the 'cop' didn't come back into their line of sight.