chapter 105

MARCIE SAT IN THE TALL GRASS, STARING AT THE GRAVE THAT TYREESE WAS DIGGING

No one spoke, not quite sure what to say.

Well, there was really nothing to say.

Beth was dead, and their dream of saving the world in DC had extinguished. There was no more plan, they were going to wander from place to place, looking for a new home.

She moved her gaze to Daryl, who was standing many yards away from her. She was instantly reminded of the farm, when they were doing the funeral for Sophia and other members of the Greene family.

Beth would've liked to be buried at the farm. If only they could've done that for her.

Marcie didn't like the way Daryl stood away from everyone. He was distancing himself, just like at the farm.

Just like Sophia, he tried so hard to find Beth. And he was successful.

Just to have her ripped away again.

Once the grave was deep enough, everyone gathered to mourn the loss of one of their sweetest members.

Gabriel was kind enough to speak at the ceremony, even though he didn't know Beth.

"We look not at what can be seen, but we look at what cannot be seen. For what can be seen is temporary... but what cannot be seen is eternal. For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens."

Marcie wasn't sure if it was from the Bible, but it was moving.

But they had to move on.

Rick and Glenn had found a couple of vans back in the city, and Vivian went with Rosita and Tara to gather as much gasoline as they could.

That's what they used to get out of Atlanta. To get Beth out and to find a place to bury her.

That next morning, Rick had gathered the others to inform them of their next move.

Virginia.

"It was secure. It has a wall, homes, 20 people. Beth wanted to go with him. She wanted to get him there. It's a long trip, but if it works out, it's the last long trip we have to make." Rick stated,

"And what if it isn't around anymore?" Glenn asked,

It was something they were all thinking. What if they make the journey, only to be met with nothing?

"Then we keep going."

"Then we find a new place." Vivian spoke up and Rick gave her a nod,

"Then we find a new place." He repeated.