chapter 113

VIVIAN HAD JUST FINISHED BRAIDING DEBBIE'S HAIR BEFORE SHE BEGAN GATHERING THINGS FOR LIAM'S FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL,

The community had tracked the days since the outbreak, which meant she knew Liam's birthday. He had been three for a few months now, which kind of broke Vivian's here that she didn't celebrate him.

It meant he was allowed to start school. He was one of the youngest kids in the area, with Judith being the youngest, but he was allowed to join the other elementary schoolers.

Vivian wasn't sure she was ready to let him grow up.

"What's your plan for the day?" Vivian asked her brother as she put a notebook and crayons in a small bag for Liam,

"Gotta meet with Reg, make sure all the panels are working fine." Finn explained, "You nervous about your first day?"

"Nah, I'm ready to get out of the walls for a little bit. This place can be-"

"Suffocating?" Finn offered, 

"Yeah." She sighed, zipping the bag up, "You'll pick him up at one?"

"Yep."

Vivian gave her sister a quick squeeze before rushing Liam out the door. She held his bag as he skipped down the sidewalk, giggling.

She was happy that he could be as loud as he wanted, and nothing would happen. No walkers would come for them. 

He could be a kid. He would grow up and not be afraid of the monsters.

Vivian came to a stop outside the house that was being used as the school, and took a polaroid camera out of Liam's bag. She had him pose in front of the garage and snapped a quick photo.

Jillian would have loved this place.

She placed the photo in his bag before meeting with the woman who used to be an elementary teacher, who would be teaching Liam with the other kids.

Once she made sure he was settled, Vivian went to go find Glenn, Tara, and Noah, since they were assigned to go on runs just like her.

She found them outside some of the town houses, waiting for the Alexandrians who were going to join them,

"I'm happy for you." Glenn told Vivian when she met up with them, "For finding your siblings."

She gave him a small smile in thanks, "I just wish it was all of them. Sucks that I wasn't here sooner, maybe I could've saved them."

Noah stared at her for a moment, "Everything happens the way it's supposed to."

She nodded, knowing he was right.