14. Life Lesson (Y/n x Gallaghers)

Word Count: 1093

Info: Y/n Gallagher manages to create a successful life outside the ghetto. In one of her interviews she answers to the question what valuable lesson life taught her and tells about her siblings.

Y/n x Gallaghers

3rd Person POV

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

The interviewer smiles and asks, "Can you please tell us some valuable lessons you learned from life?"

Y/n thinks for a few seconds and says, "Of course, I have a story in mind."

Y/n's POV

People always used to tell me that little things matter in life, enjoy the presence, do not stress yourself. I did not understand why they said it. The present is also important to feel and enjoy, but my focus was mainly on the future. As a child, I always looked forward to the future, worked hard for the future, and did anything for a better future. But when was that future going to come? I never really expected any sudden changes. "Life is full of surprises," people say and it is true.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

Traveling many miles away from my childhood home was surprising.
I made the decision to leave and was looking forward to it. I only focused on the future and how I was going to adjust to a new place, even though I did not reach my destination yet. Nothing about that little town I grew up in seemed as important as it is now for me. You never know the true value of something until you lose it.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

I remember my last day before going to the airport. I was spending my last day hanging out with my family. We did nothing special: usual stuff, usual walks, and talks, staying out till dark.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

I was wearing my comfiest clothes, sitting in a car, and taking a last look at the roads and trees. I remember the sudden wave of sadness hitting me, multiple thoughts reaching my head and overwhelming it. Is this the last time I'm going to see these trees and roads and houses? Of course not, I tried to reassure myself, but did not sound that reassuring. I sat silently, hugging my brother Carl and looking out of the window.

Fiona probably noticed the tense atmosphere and that's why suggested, "Let's put on some music."

"That's a great idea," said my brother Lip, who was driving the car.

Carl got the phone, and put on some mood-lightening music, "Here you go," he smiled.

Music helped, I felt so much better when I reached the airport, I was smiling. And once again I forgot about the presence and focused on the future and what will happen when I get to my destination.

The airport was quiet at the time we arrived. There were only a few people out there getting security checks. The dead silence between so many of us was making the situation much more intense.

My whole big family came to say their goodbyes, but none of us bothered to talk. Maybe we did not know what to say or how to say it. But the silence was there and it was not planning on leaving.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

Time was running and it was time to enter another room, from where I would get to my flight. Does this mean goodbye? No of course not, I'll see them again. But when will I see them again? Hopefully soon. But how soon? My mind was having a full-on conversation with itself, but I still tried to stay calm and think about the future.

As we said our goodbyes, I was surprisingly in a positive mood. But not until I hugged Carl.

This hug hit me different. So much different. He hugged me and held onto me as if he was glued to me.

I had many questions and concerns at the time. Why didn't he let go? It's not like this is forever. I'm still going to text and call him. I wanted to say something, but could not. Something formed in my throat, some kind of ball that did not let me speak. If I spoke, my voice would crack and I would be crying. But not speaking did not help either, my eyes filled with tears and the tears rolled down my cheeks.

Everyone else joined the hug as well. I was hugging my family, the only friends I had, and the only source of my pure happiness.

Crying was the way to express the millions of emotions in my heart: sadness, madness, worry, love, missing, and more.

So we just stood there for five minutes or more, tightly hugging each other. Lip held me in his arms, his head rested on my shoulder and both of our eyes closed.

Fiona brushed my hair off my face, Ian patted my shoulder, Debbie held me as tight as she can and Liam hugged me from the other side. Carl did not stop hugging me; he squeezed my hand in reassurance.

That moment I did not worry at all. The world stopped spinning and all that mattered was that I was living the moment, experiencing it to the fullest.

When we finally let go, Fiona spoke, her voice was low and seemed breathless.

"Don't cry," she said while wiping my tears away.

"I'll miss you," I mumbled and smiled.

"We'll miss you too," she smiled back and I waved at everyone as I entered the other room with red eyes and indescribable feelings.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

This scene is still stuck in my mind and does not go away. And I'm not even planning on letting it go.

Each time I recall the memory in my mind, I remember more and more details I didn't think I would remember.

Being the person who always worried about the future and did not live in the present became the person to appreciate the right now.

As much as you worry for the future, it's important to take moments to appreciate the presence and enjoy it.

I'm really glad that my past self gave up on future thoughts for a second and embraced the moment in her mind and heart.

Now, every time I remember that hug at the airport, I remember to stop and appreciate life.

Life is too short to stress around, people need to stop running around, take a breath, and experience the present emotions and feelings of life.

I love my family and if they are watching or reading this interview I hope they know how much I appreciate them and look forward to returning to Chicago for a visit.