3. I Don't Recognize Him Anymore (Y/n x Lip)

Word Count: 1035

Info: Y/n is tired of Lip always going back to Karen. She tells Ian how Lip keeps choosing Karen over her and Ian decides to talk with his brother about that.

Y/n x Lip

3rd Person POV

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

Y/n was sitting in Ian's bedroom as they were doing homework. Y/n was helping Ian with his school stuff. As best friends, they enjoyed spending time together.

Some time later Ian got tired of math and decided to ask Y/n about her boyfriend.

"How's your boyfriend?" giggled Ian thinking that they are about to start a rant about his brother.

Y/n did not answer immediately, she thought for a second or few before saying, "Fine... I guess," she sighed and added, "Ask Karen, I think she knows better."

"Did something happen?" Ian was worried about Y/n.

"He left me waiting for him in the park for about an hour and did not show up, later he texted that Karen called him and he needed to go."

"Did he tell you why?"

"Of course not!" Y/n let the emotions take over her and she got angry and slammed the table, "fucking asshole."

"Woah," Ian did not expect that for sure saying from his surprised reaction. Y/n always had a calm personality and always tried to solve arguments without fights.

"It's just... I think I don't recognize him anymore," she played with her finger trying to find the right words, "I guess I don't know him, or what love is..."

"So you are saying that you don't know what love is, but you're confident that it's a lie," Ian said this mostly for himself. Hearing it out loud would help to better understand what was Y/n going through.

"Okay, maybe not a lie," Y/n thought for a second looking up trying to find some answers up there, "maybe a... like a fantasy? When you see people for who they are the fantasy goes away and then so does the love."

"So love is just some ideal? This means that no one can ever truly love anyone else, and no one can ever truly love you," this was the only thing Ian was understanding from Y/n's words. Even as much as it hurt to admit it, he could see how much pain his brother gave Y/n.

"Do you think that I'm avoiding it?" she paused for a few seconds, "love?"

"I think that you still do believe in love but you love so fiercely my friend that it hurts sometimes. And you're afraid of that hurt."

"I'm just tired of being hurt," Y/n's eyes filled with tears as she continued, "You know how things are at home... and now Lip..."

"You're afraid of that hurt as anyone would be," Ian tried to show her that she is not alone in this, but was it working?

Y/n tried to hold her tears to herself, tried not to break down and cry. With a cracking voice she said, "If you love someone, you're going to lose them. Sometime, somehow."

"I know that it's been hard after your dad's death," Ian hugged Y/n. Y/n felt the tears roll down. She could not hold them in anymore. She collapsed into a river of tears. "But we love... anyway, don't we?"

Y/n did not know what to tell exactly, or what to answer.

"So what exactly do you believe in?" questioned Ian.

The answer did not come out of Y/n's mouth immediately after the question was asked. It took some time for her to find the correct choice of words and whisper, "I believe we're all alone, and that no one can save us but ourselves."

Well, there was nothing else to say, nothing was left to say. Ian could not think of words. How to encourage Y/n? How to tell her that she matters and that she deserves love?

The only thing that happened after it was Y/n crying on Ian's shoulders and leaving with red puffy eyes.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

"You can stay over," Ian insisted, "You should leave whenever you feel okay."

"You know that my mom will see that I'm gone," Y/n smiled slightly, "thank you for everything." She hugged Ian once more and left.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

Lip came home really late, past midnight. Everyone was asleep except Ian. He was awaiting his brother. Once he came home Ian stood up from the couch and slightly pushed him saying, "What the fuck's wrong with you?"

"What are you talking about?" Lip did not know what was happening.

"Y/n!" Ian raised his voice, "That's what I'm talking about!"

"What about her?"

"Really?" Ian got mad. What was he supposed to do after seeing his best friend crying for hours? "You left her alone in the park. She was waiting for you man!"

"Karen needed me," explained Lip and headed upstairs avoiding Ian.

"So does Y/n," Ian's words stopped Lip on the stairs, "she is your girlfriend Lip! Your goddamn girlfriend!"

"She is hard to get to!" Lip yelled. "She is hard to be with!"

Hard to get to. Hard to be with. This statement upset Ian really badly.

"She ain't easy, because she's amazing," Ian yelled, "if she's easy she won't be amazing."

"What are trying to prove here?"

"I'm saying that I have the most amazing best friend ever. If she was worth it: your time and efforts, you wouldn't have given up. If you give up you're not worthy of her," Ian stopped for a second to take a breath and added, "I guess you are not worthy to have an amazing girl as Y/n."

"Karen's pregnant!" yelled Lip back trying to act as if Ian's words did not affect him at all.

"Fuck you!" yelled Ian, "she is your girlfriend and you don't know for sure if the baby is yours."

"Then go spend time with your precious best friend Y/n while I will be supporting Karen and the baby!"

"I will, at least I won't be getting trapped by some pregnant skank." With these words, Ian left Lip alone thinking about what he has done.