xii

Florence's pov:

I locked the door behind me, and threw my shoes off. I rubbed my eyes as I walked into my living room, dropped my bag on my couch before falling on it myself. I breathed in deeply, taking in the silence of my apartment. I sighed, remembering I hadn't bought groceries. After looking into my fridge, I ordered a poke bowl from a random place nearby. 

A notification popped up on my phone. For a second I thought it was Bojan, as we'd just exchanged numbers again. I was relieved to see it was a text from Iris.

Iris

19.00

Hii! How was your day? Wanna call?
Lily wants to see you :)

Yess please
I miss you two

We miss you too

Iris called me, and I picked up immediately. Lily's small face filled my screen, her face lighting up when she saw me. "Hi!" She excitedly shouted. "Hi baby." I sent her a bright smile. "How are you? How was school today?" Lily had started school this year, since she turned 4. She was very excited about it, as she felt she was really grown up now. It was so cute. "It was awesome! I can already count to twenty." She looked so proud of herself as she said that. "That's great Lils." She cheered me up with just these few seconds of talking. I love Lily.

Iris moved her phone away from Lily, so I could also see her. I now also saw that they were in Lily's bedroom. "Hey Buns." She smiled. "Lils, I hate to say this, but it is your bedtime, so say goodnight now." Lily started whining as Iris said this. "But I want to keep talking." She said. "I know. We'll call again soon, okay?" Iris told her. "Okay." Lily nodded. "Goodnight Lils, we'll talk again soon." I smiled at her. "Goodnight, my girl." I smiled softly as I watched Lily wave goodbye.

"How is she?" I asked Iris when she sat down. "She's alright. She's been throwing a few tantrums today, but she'll be okay." Iris smiled tiredly. "And how are you?" I asked her. "It's all very tiring, managing work and a kid, but I'm good. What about you? How was your first day at work?"

I sighed. "You're not going to believe this." "What?" "First thing of today, I went to the cafe I went to five years ago. I was sitting there, doing some work before going to the place. And then, Bojan just walked in." Iris gasped as I was telling the story. I told her everything that had happened today, every small little detail. "That's crazy!" She exclaimed when I was done telling her everything. "So now you'll be working closely with your ex-fling for about a year?" She summed up. 

I nodded. "Yeah. I hope we can be friends, he's still a very nice guy, and so are the others of the band." I said. "That would be nice, yeah." She smiled.

We talked for a bit, but when my food arrived we hung up. I put on my playlist on the tv, and grabbed my old journal again. After sitting down at my table I opened it, flipping to the second entry.

23th of July 2017

My dearest Bojan,

A lot has happened since I last wrote to you. To you?  I don't know. In here. Anyway. My wedding was yesterday. The morning was quite fun actually. I got ready with Iris and Joanna. Iris looked stunning, as always. I also looked pretty, if I may say so myself. Anyway, when we got to the venue, I suddenly felt the immense pressure when I looked at all the guests. I saw Thomas standing there, he didn't look like he was enjoying this either. I realized we could never make each other happy. When the wedding planner asked us if we were almost ready I couldn't handle it anymore. I knew in which car my stuff was, so Iris and I ran out of the venue and drove away. I don't think anyone saw us. I did have my little dream moment, running away with my wedding dress flowing in the wind. It was awesome. Iris and I did a little roadtrip, but we ended up at her parent's, Eric and Nora's, new house. That's where we are now. 

I transferred quite a lot of money from my parents' to my account. Oops. I don't think they'll notice though. Until they do I can use it to buy a new house with Iris. We'll live together in Amsterdam. I can get a job and study and start my life again. All I have to figure out is what to do about this baby. And to not be found by my parents. I think they will kill me when they do. They don't know Iris' parents anyway, and definitely not their new address. Joanna doesn't either. She would've had to tell them if she did. I'm glad she doesn't know, because I won't be the reason she's fired.

Yesterday and today have been quite stressful. I hope it'll end soon, it's draining. Iris had to go to her job again today, and so did her parents, but I babysitted her siblings, Olivia and Ava today. They're twins, and very cute. They're only seven. I'm also glad Joanna learned me how to cook a little, because I cooked for the whole family today. I also cleaned the house today. I really want to do that kind of stuff for them, because I feel like I'm a burden. Hopefully we will soon find a house to move into, so we'll have our own place. In three weeks my study starts, and I hope we'll be moved in before then. It's on short notice, but I'd like to be settled by then. I know it's too optimistic, but maybe it'll happen. 

I really miss you. I keep seeing things that remind me of you. It sucks. I wish we could meet again. When Ollie and Ava were playing outside I started to learn Slovene. I still love the language. Maybe the next time we'll meet I'll be able to speak to you in your native language. Wouldn't that be great? Today I made my own pizza. For the first time. My parents didn't really allow me to eat it usually. They thought it was 'poor people food'. You mentioned your mother made good homemade pizza. So I made mine. It was so good. If only you were here to taste it. Nora said it was great, and that she'd teach me to cook more things. She's already treating me more like her daughter than Margaret ever did. 

Ollie and Ava called me Flo today, too. I didn't really talk to them much before, Iris and I usually hung out at my place, since it was bigger. It stung a little when I heard the nickname, but it was nice too. I hope more people will call me that. 

Iris is calling me, we're going to watch a movie.

Yours truly,
Flo xxx

My heart hurt reading that. I again looked at the wedding ring around my finger, wondering what could've been. While reading I had eaten my entire poke bowl. It was good, I think. Hadn't really paid attention to it. I shut the journal again, looking at the boxes everywhere in my room. I should start unpacking them. The bookshelf was too empty, I could fill that one. Opening one of the boxes that said books, I started putting them all in the shelf. 

The tv started playing Summer Nights from Grease, and as I sang along I suddenly realized the lyrics sounded all too familiar. Like I'd lived them. Fuck, I jinxed it too. I wished for it back then. Couldn't have been more stupid. I hate myself.

A/N

I thought I'd experience some more with this pov, do you guys like it? I like writing in first person a lot honestly. Feels more personal?

Anyway, I love you guys' comments and thanks for almost 3,5K reads on this story!

xx