Chapter 31: To Save or To Destroy

Start from the beginning

Carla's sinking feeling in her stomach got even deeper as she hesitantly walked over. She tried to speak but her throat felt so dry it was practically impossible to utter anything.

"H-hey...come on..." Chelia frets, shaking Wendy's body again. "Don't do this...please wake up...!"

With the front door busted and the left side of the house demolished, it was easy to overlook what was going on inside. Ranchers who weren't preoccupied cleaning up began noticing what was going on and started to watch.

Chelia continued shaking Wendy's body as tears poured from her eyes like a waterfall. "Wendy please! It can't end like this! Get up!!" She begged. "The training we did paid off y'know! I was able to use magic for a moment! We all worked so hard to save you! So please don't let it end like this!"

Despite this, Wendy's body didn't even twitch.

Carla collapses on the floor as she too begins having tears leak out. All the hard work and risks they took were for nothing, she felt like she failed Wendy once again. The Exceed's vision gets blurry as she stares at the ground and begins to break down.

The ones who were watching had a hard time processing what was going on. It was the complete opposite of the encounter with Natsu earlier. Many of them weren't sure how to feel, except for one of them.

"Hey." Henry spoke up, he was still laying down by the front entrance. "Leave the two alone, can't ya see they're grieving?"

The ranchers showed signs of awkward body mannerisms as they went back to cleaning up. Henry continued to lay there as he overheard the two girl's breaking down.

"This country..." Henry lowered his head. "All it has done is take away, even those not living in it. When will it end?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're telling me Wendy isn't here?!" Lucy flabbergasted. Back at the castle, she and Happy were currently walking through the long white hallways. Lucy was clenching her shoulder as it was still in pain from her encounter with Sync earlier.

"Aye..." Happy replied, looking down. "Natsu had already left once he found out...he asked me to find you and pass on the info." The blue Exceed glanced out a window. "I hope he's okay..."

Lucy followed Happy's gaze and softly smiled. "I'm confident that he's doing just fine." She assured. "He may act reckless, but I know he'll get the job done."

Happy turned back at Lucy and nodded his head. "A-aye! I believe in him!"

"For now...we should find the others." Lucy advised, looking ahead. "Carla and Chelia may still be upstairs, and who knows where Gray is currently at. They should be informed as soon as possible!"

Lucy proceeds to start running but quickly stops in her tracks as she feels the pain on her shoulder again. She hisses and stumbles before leaning on a wall.

"Lucy! You're still hurt!" Happy urged.

"S-sorry..." Lucy chuckles. "I'll be fine! But...would it be much trouble to carry me for a little bit?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back on the top floor in Izanagi's room, Gray was staring outside the window by the large bed. He noticed as he walked in that it was left open as the curtains blew in the wind.

"What was up with those clouds earlier..." Gray wondered. He turned around and observed the room. When he entered earlier, he was greeted with a huge mess as most objects were knocked over. Strangely, no object was in the middle of the room, but by the walls. The state of the room looked as if a huge burst of wind blew everything over.