Chapter 15: Adapt or Struggle

"Don't falter! Do what you can to take them down!" An armored angel shouted as he charged with his eyes shut tight. He felt his armor get pierced before the shock sent him crashing down on the cloudy floor, knocking him out.

Erza released her sword as she and Jellal continued walking through the now mostly empty streets of Exahelm. Another soldier several feet away gawked at them both with fear in his eyes.

"W-what's going on?! These two are just abnormally strong!" The soldier exclaimed, pointing his spear directly at them.

Erza stopped in her tracks and glared at the soldier which sent shivers down his spine. He immediately dropped his weapon and ran away, screaming.

Jellal furrowed his eyebrows at Erza. "You really do strike fear in many people..."

The red haired wizard didn't respond as the two walked out to a more open area. They were surprised how quickly the civilians evacuated, even though most hid in their homes. Abandoned fruit rolled on the floor, flags were tattered and buildings were damaged. Enemy numbers dwindled more and more in their area, meaning most of them were dealing with the other wizards.

"Jellal, how is your physical condition so far?" Erza asked.

"I should be asking you that, since you've used more magic than me." Jellal commented. "But I'm fine, don't you worry."

Erza placed a palm on her chest and took a deep breath. "I'm fine too, nothing I can't handle."

The two continued their casual walk through the empty streets as right in front of them lay the castle far in the distance. The two could see a battle going on by the front entrance, but Erza notices something else. A little higher than the battle below, she saw a bright glow coming from what seems to be a balcony area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in the castle, Carla was leading in the front while Chelia watched their backs. They hugged the walls and peaked in every corner before continuing their infiltration in the empty hallways. Carla gestured to Chelia to continue searching after spotting no one in every corner they came across. They peeked through some rooms that took interest but they were all empty as every other area in the building.

"What's the point of all these rooms if no one is going to be using them...?" Carla whispered, sounding annoyed.

Chelia giggled slightly. "Rogue was right, this place is completely empty..."

Carla's ears suddenly perked up and quickly turned her head back to the room they entered in earlier. She heard an explosion and shouting outside as she squinted her eyes. Chelia followed Carla's gaze and raised an eyebrow.

"It looks like someone *couldn't* wait and started fighting those guards out front..." Carla groaned, having a feeling on who it was. She proceeded to grab Chelia's back. "Let's hurry to the top floor, but keep your eyes peeled." She advised before flying up and taking off towards the stairs.

While swiftly flying through the castle, the two continued to not spot a single angel. Chelia looked up at Carla and gave a big smile.

"The coast is still clear! We'll be there in no time!" Chelia beamed.

"Good, not much longer then!" Carla was relieved.

"Yeah! We're almost there! Uh, almost to what?" A third voice was heard as Carla and Chelia darted their heads next to them and saw Sync flying right next to them.

"Ah!" The two shrieked before Sync grabbed her scythe with both her hands and prepared to strike. Carla flew lower and ducked as the yellow haired angel swung her weapon right above them at abnormal speed, which caused Carla to lose her momentum. The two fell to the ground and slid a couple inches while Sync landed right in front of the two gracefully, blocking their path.