Chapter 30: The Sky God's Return

Hahlos couldn't feel anything on his body right now, not even the soft pillow-like clouds he laid on nor the amount of pain his body was inflicted with earlier. It was like his entire body was numb. He was still conscious as he stared up in the clear blue sky. Despite everything that happened, the sky remained the same.

"...For the first time...I have utterly failed as this country's guardian..." Heaved Hahlos. "No...it wasn't the first time, not even close..." He admitted, slowly shutting his eyes tight.

The angel was shaking, the pain he received began to come back as he forcefully raised his right hand and reached out to the sky. "Did I make the right choice...Carine?" Hahlos wondered. He then began to hear loud coughing and hacking nearby. He was able to narrow his head over to his right as he plopped his arm back down.

"Erza! You need rest!" Chelia urged.

"She's right, you're in no physical shape to move right now!" Carla chided.

Hahlos noticed that the girl that resembled his friend had transformed back into her Exceed form. He began to hear footsteps coming from his right. Jellal began to approach the group as Erza continued to struggle to stay up, clenching the hilt of her sword tightly.

"...Hahlos...are you still conscious?" Erza asked, her back facing him. She coughed out more blood and nearly collapsed but still held on.

Jellal stopped right next to Hahlos, narrowing his eyes down at him. Hahlos looked back up at the sky and sighed deeply. "Indeed, but I cannot move." The angel responded.

Erza paused as she stared at the ground. She clenched her teeth, struggling to stay up. Carla and Chelia continued to urge Erza to rest but she did not listen. "Carla...Chelia...go on ahead without us." She requested.

"What are you talking about? Are you asking us to just *leave* you here?!" Carla objected.

"Natsu is up ahead...Jellal and I will catch up in a bit..." Erza insisted, unable to lift her head up.

The two were hesitant, especially Carla. However, Chelia's eyes met with Carla's as the dark pink haired girl gave a nod to the Exceed. Carla placed his paws on her hips and sighed. She grabbed onto Chelia's back and prepared to take off to the other cloud island.

Hahlos watched as Carla and Chelia left, paying more attention to Carla as she got further and further away. He narrowed his head back at Erza's direction who had not moved an inch.

"Your loyalty surpassed mine, this victory is yours." Hahlos congratulated.

Erza coughed. "I'm...n-not so sure about that." She disagreed, managing to turn her head towards Hahlos' direction. "Are you sure you were fighting us as a loyal guardian?"

"What a ridiculous question." Hahlos scoffed. "This whole time I fought for the protection of this country."

Jellal crossed his arms and glanced ahead. "I wonder if that's the complete truth..."

Hahlos furrowed his brow at Jellal's statement. "What exactly do you mean?" He wondered.

"What is Carla to you?" Erza bluntly asked.

Hahlos turned his head away from the swordswoman. "She is nothing to me, as I do not know her."

"Your emotions say otherwise." Erza countered. "I saw it in those eyes of yours, they read sorrow and regret. From the mere moment Carla and Chelia showed up, all the way until the end."

Hahlos paused, Jellal taking notice of the angel's unchanging emotion. Hahlos continued to look away as he sighs. "That is none of your business, why do you intend to pry information out of me now?" He bickered.