Chapter Twenty-Eight

The town was buzzing with the hustling of bodies along the cobbled street. Young kids weaved in front of Kelsey as their aspirated parents shouted after them, cussing their names beneath their breaths. Dogs barked in the distance as their owners struggled to keep them from pulling on the lead.

  Kelsey pulled her coat tighter across her waist as her eyes spotted the rusted red sign of the cafe that stood in the centre of all the commotion. Faded green tables and chairs sat outside the front, the paint weathered and peeling from the frames.

  Sat to the left of the entrance with his head hung low and knee jerking nervously beneath the table was Jake. His face ashen and his blonde hair usually expertly styled was now hidden beneath a green beanie. His eyes surveyed the people passing by, looking up through his lashes as if not to be so obvious that he was searching for someone in particular.

  Kelsey's feet halted her progress. She knew that if she was to turn back, now would be her only chance to do so. Yet her feet didn't move. She was frozen to the spot, her heartbeat pounding in her ears as the sounds surrounding her muffled to a dull hum, the people themselves morphing to nothing but blobs of passing colours.

   Jake's eyes found hers. She saw his posture straighten in the chair and the brief pause before he decided to give a subtle wave. Regaining composure she continued on her path, the crowds of people parting to allow her to keep within Jake's eye line.

  He meekly smiled at her as she approached the seat opposite his own. Pulling it back slowly the feet scraped against the concrete, adding another layer to the already awkward introduction.

       "I got you a hot chocolate." Jake rushed, gesturing to the paper cup on the table in front of her. His brow furrowed as he stared down at it. "You always used to order that whenever we went out. I don't know if you still like them but I thought I'd just-"

        "Thank you." Kelsey interrupted, placing her bag between her chair and the wall and taking her seat, pulling the lukewarm cup towards her turning it between her two hands.

   Jake's shoulder's relaxed seeing her accept the drink. Reaching for his own he lifted it with an ease such to suggest he'd already drank the majority of the contents.

       "Sorry for being late. I was just checking out of my hotel." Kelsey explained, her eyes restlessly jumping from face to face, trying to avoid the gaze of the man sat in front of her as much as she could.

       "Oh." Jake's voice sounded weak, a faint whisper to Kelsey's rush of adrenaline that was circling her body. "You're leaving today?"

  Kelsey raised the cup to her lips, the sugary drink filling her mouth as she nodded. Lowering the cup she finally met his eyes, the distance between them seeming mere inches apart. His glassy eyes stared intently at her, dark circles hung below them. He looked like nothing she'd ever seen before. Almost broken. Suddenly the anger and hate mellowed inside her. Clearing her throat she put the cup down and folded her arms on the table top.

      "I'm heading to the station after this actually." her own voice surprised her, it's calming tone causing an instant effect on Jake, his lips twitching in the corners hinting at a relaxed smile.

      "I guess I should make this quick then." He joked, leaning in on his elbows, his fingers playing with the loose label on his cup.

  Kelsey's heart hammered against her chest, the words she longed to hear seemed to be balanced on the tip of his tongue.

      "I'm truly, incredibly sorry Kelsey." He looked up at her through his thick eyelashes, his eyes noticeably red and glossy. Clearing his throat, he lent back tilting his head to the sky to avoid looking directly at Kelsey and loosing all his composure. "I messed up bad. What I did to you-" He paused lowering his head, eyes once again meeting hers, his waterline glistening with the telltale signs of tears threatening to spill. 
       "No. The way I treated you, was nothing short of utter disrespect. You deserved so much more than I gave you."