Chapter Ten

"What do you mean crazy golf is childish?" Kelsey cried out from her comfortable position on the Henderson's plush sofa. Her arms waved above her head in disbelief.

"It's just not what I immediately think about when it comes to dating in my late twenties." Sean retorted from the other end of the sofa, his head resting against one of his mothers overly expensive decorative cushions.

"It's the perfect first date!" Kelsey retorted. "It's an activity that both parties are involved in, a constant flow of conversation, it's fun! A healthy dose of competition!" She picked up one of the pillows and chucked it in Sean's direction. "Much better than a cinema trip or a meal."

"Oh come on, what's wrong with going for a meal for a first date?" Sean argued, tossing the plump cushion back to Kelsey who stared on in shock.

"Many things, Sean. For starters the lull in conversation as you have no clue what to speak about." Kelsey started listing things off her fingers in a dramatic manner. "Worrying constantly if you have something stuck in your teeth or whether you're drinking too much but drinking is how you deal with the awkwardness of the situation. It's truly an awful idea for a first date."

"Sounds like a very personal take." Sean said, raising an eyebrow.

"That's what I'm here for isn't it? To give you the woman's perspective. Last time I checked I am indeed a woman and that is my perspective on the matter. Don't just go for dinner as the first date." On the last word Kelsey huffed falling back into the crevice she had formed.

"Ok noted. Pick a fun activity." Sean said, closing his eyes in concentration he reached both hands behind his head relaxing in the moment. "Except there's fuck all to do in this town regarding fun."

"Well that's why you have to make it fun!" Kelsey argued back laughing. "No ones going to have fun playing crazy golf if you don't lean into the ridiculousness of it."

"You're really hung up on this crazy golf idea aren't you?" Sean opened one eye to look at Kelsey who had now twisted her body to look at him, her chin resting on her hand as it propped her up against the back cushions. He swallowed a lump in his throat, the sunlight that was breaking through the front window had casted a warm halo around her, setting her hair ablaze with a red haze. She smiled at him then, her eyes soft.

"Honestly, it will be a laugh. We'll go tomorrow and you'll see just how right I am. " She smiled.
"Fine." Sean answered turning his body to face Kelsey. "It's a date."

He watched as the grin spread further across her face, two dimples prominently showing. With a warmth spreading across his chest Sean fought with every instinct telling him to get closer to her. To feel her locks of hair pass through his fingers, to smell her perfume whilst his teeth grazed over her neck, to taste her as he took her lips to his.

Sean blinked back rapidly sitting upright. Those thoughts had snuck up on him from nowhere and he needed to look anywhere but at Kelsey right now. Clearing his throat he stood up.
"Right my phone should have enough battery now."

Kelsey sat upright herself, he smile faltering and eyebrows furrowed in confusion from Seans sudden outburst.

"Alright." She dragged out questionably as she watched him walk over to the door way, he looked back briefly with a sheepish grin.

"I'll make us some lunch to have whilst you ridicule everything." He said before turning and heading up the stairs two steps at a time.

Walking into his room Sean caught his reflection in the mirror that made up his wardrobes sliding door. His hair was dishevelled and his cheeks where still tinged pink, looking at himself he mouthed the word No. He felt ridiculous, where had those feelings come from? It was Kelsey for Christ's sake. Maybe it had been too long? His mates where right, he desperately needed to 'relieve stress' and Sean knew that he wouldn't be having these thoughts if that wasn't the case.
Reaching down to his phone on the desk he unplugged it, the Lock Screen lighting up causing Sean to hesitate putting it straight into his pocket.
"Shit." He whispered reading the notifications from his brother.