Chapter Twenty-Six

Early morning pried open Kelsey's eyes with the faint rays of sun penetrating the thin curtains. The hushed, gentle snores of Sean assured her that he was still asleep, his face a picture of serenity as his chest rose with every soft breath. Kelsey bunched the sheets up over her exposed body, tucking it under her chin as she snuggled back into Sean, her head nestling against his shoulder.

  He adjusted next to her, turning his head on the soft pillow to kiss the top of her head.
       "Good morning." Sean spoke, his voice heavy with the rasp of sleep.

       "Good morning." Kelsey whispered back, tilting her head upwards she scrunched her nose with a small smile. All her air evacuated her lungs as she nestled in closer, letting an arm snake across Sean's bare torso hugging him tight. 
  Sean retaliated by holding her closer, the scent of her hair filling his senses as he drifted back into bliss. His fingers trailed waltzing paths across her back, her skin cool to his touch. A sigh of satisfaction escaped her mouth as he drew unspoken promises all over her.

        "You stayed." Kelsey spoke against his chest.

       "Were you expecting me to leave?" Sean said holding back a laugh, his hand tracing gently up her neck and caressing the back of her head, hair twisting between his fingers.

      "I'm not sure what to expect." Kelsey responded. "Truthfully, I'm not even certain that I've woken up yet."

      "I'm trying to figure that out too."

   Unlocking his fingers from her hair he stretched his arms up, an aspirated sigh reverberating through his chest as his shoulders clicked and muscled pulled taught.

      "Dream or not, I'm going to have a shower." He smiled down at Kelsey. "If that's alright."

      "Yeah of course. Just be warned the water pressure here is non existent." She laughed, shuffling further under the covers as Sean emerged from the comfort of them. Grabbing the thin throw he wrapped it across his waist, a tinge of pink brushing across the tops of his cheeks as he did so.

  Kelsey stifled her giggle as he made his way towards the bathroom, collecting his clothing along the way.

      "Enjoying the view, Owens?" Sean's sleep dusted voice teased as he looked over his shoulder, his lips pulling up at the corners.

   Kelsey's eyes widened, taking in the tonal shifts of his exposed body. Flashes from her first evening back in this town entered her mind, how Sean now mirrored his appearance from that night. When he stood in the doorway wearing nothing but a white towel around his waist and a confused look on his face. Now his baffled expression was replaced with that of content and happiness. His eyes ablaze with a newfound joy. Kelsey felt her heart warm at the thought that she'd brought that side out of him. How they'd brought that side out of each other.

     "I really am." Kelsey replied, grazing her teeth against her bottom lip. Her heart fluttered as she watched him lift his head as a deep chuckle left his mouth. Turning his blue eyes to meet hers, Kelsey felt her pulse quicken and chest swell. The way he looked at her she was certain no one had ever captured her in their gaze that way before. These newfound feelings were amplifying within, Kelsey felt both scared and excited.

     "Truly. You're something special." Sean smiled. Raising his eyebrows and opening the bathroom door he hesitated, winking back to Kelsey before taking a step forward.

  Hearing the patter of water hitting the shower floor Kelsey sat up stretching, the light shining through from the window letting her know that the day was to be a good one. Folding forward she reached towards her overnight bag to retrieve her oversized t-shirt that she'd been using as a night dress. Slipping it over her head the soft cotton caressed her form. Swinging her legs over the side of the bed Kelsey made her way towards the vanity table, her reflection in the mirror showing her that she most definitely looked like she had a fun night. Wild curls sprung out in every direction and remnants of red lipstick were smudged just below her lip line. Yet her smile seemed permanently fixed, Kelsey couldn't recall the last time she'd looked this alive first thing after waking up.