Chapter Nineteen

Kelsey stared down at the dark coffee swirling around the chipped mug that she held in her hands. Sadie sat opposite her on the weathered sofa, her eyes wide and unblinking. Placing the mug down the silence was suddenly broken.

     "Thank you." Kelsey whispered, her voice still hoarse. "And again, I'm sorr-"
     "Don't." Sadie interrupted, reaching out and gently grasping Kelsey's hands in her own. "Like I said, I can get my brothers to go after them. They can make it look like an accident too." 

A weak laugh left Kelsey's lips, Sadie sat there straight faced.
      "As grateful as I am for that very kind offer, I'll have to decline." Kelsey said giving Sadie's hands a tight squeeze before dropping them.

Buzz Buzz

    Kelsey looked down at her phone, it's screen lit up displaying a new message. Sadie strained her neck to look over at the screen. Her brow furrowed.
       "Is that the one we like or do I actually need to make a call?"

     Kelsey stared at the screen before it blinked off revealing her mascara stained reflection.
       "It was Sean. Just checking in." Wiping her eyes with the back of her hand she smiled sweetly at the young woman. "We still like him." She laughed softly picking up her phone holding it tightly. Standing up from the deep indent of the old leather chair she had huddled in, Kelsey's legs felt weightless beneath her.
"Honestly, Sadie, thank you. You are brilliant."

   Sadie's eyes lit up as a smile creeped across her face, her long nails delicately tucking a loose strand of pale blonde hair behind her ear as she rolled her eyes.
       "Nah, not brilliant. Just looking out for women ya know?" She laughed. "You seem like a nice lady, I wanted to make sure you were alright. That's why I extended your stay till the end of the week. Free of charge, my manager won't even notice and we have zero other guests filing in to need the room anyway"

     "Oh Sadie you saint! I can pay for it it's no problem." Kelsey reached down to her bag but Sadie shrugged shaking her head.
     "Don't bother, really. I often just put fake bookings in anyway."
     "I really appreciate it. And thanks to you I am a lot better."  Kelsey held out her hand to assist Sadie up from her position. "You should really look into a career in helping people, you'd smash it."

     "Oh once I've saved up the money from working here I'm starting that fancy course in Brighton in hair and make up." Her face beamed in excitement at the mention of getting out of this place. Kelsey took in the ecstatic presence before her, a stark cry from the bored person that often hid behind the counter. "Got a real talent for all that stuff, did my nails all by myself." She held up her inch long nails in Kelsey's eyesight, each one painted exquisitely and adorned in intricate floral patterns.

     "Amazing." Kelsey said, taking her hand in her own and looking over the fine details. "You say you can do hair as well?"
     "Yep. Always have my GHDs in the boot of my car."
     "Really?"
     "Never go anywhere without them."
     "You free this evening? I have this date-"
     "I clock off at 5." Sadie interrupted, clasping her hands excitedly in front of her. "I'll bring everything to your room."

    Kelsey rolled her eyes and smiled, all sour feelings from the morning slipping away. The young woman beaming ear to ear giving her a new sense of anticipation for what is to come this evening, she no longer felt sick at the idea.
      "Perfect." Kelsey said backing away in the direction of the doorway. "I look forward to it!"

   The door swung shut behind her, Sadie's excited face still visible through the small window pane as she returned back to her workstation.
Unlocking her phone, Kelsey bypassed the messages and clicked on Sean's contact, hitting the dial button. She climbed each step with the dial tone blaring against her ear. The ringing stopped along with Kelsey's ascension, leaning against the worn down wooden bannister she waited to hear his voice.