Chapter Twenty-Four

TW: DV

Scarlett. That Scarlett. The same Scarlett that throughout their relationship Jake had sworn was just a friend. The very Scarlett that Kelsey had found photos and texts from on Jake's phone, revealing their whole affair. Yes, Kelsey remembers Scarlett.

  The chair next to hers creaked as Sean shifted in his seat, his fingers interlocking with Kelsey's, holding her hand tighter.

     "Why, yes...of course." Martha stammered, taken aback by the sudden interruption. Standing up from her chair she straightened her jacket and politely gestured to the table. "Please, join us."

  Jake sauntered down the path, Scarlett in tow carefully placing one foot in front of the other. Kelsey swallowed hard, her neck prickling as the emotions from that morning came flooding back to her.

                                                                             .....................................................................................................................................

       Ding, ding.

   Kelsey's eyes felt heavy as she blinked back the sleep. Her throat dry she fought back a yawn and tried to return to sleep, pulling the duvet up over her eyes.

      Ding, ding.

  Sleep was fading from her. The sounds of early morning birds sang outside the bedroom window. The light snoring of Jake laying next to her solidifying the fact she was definitely staying awake for now.

     Ding, ding.

  Throwing back the duvet. Kelsey stared at the ceiling above her.
      "What the fuck?" her voice was barely audible though the room that was blanketed in silence. Slowly sitting up she stretched her arms, her muscles straining. Jake stirred beside her, turning further away taking the duvet with him.

     Ding, ding.

    "Right." Kelsey huffed, swinging her legs over the side of the bed she bent down and grabbed her crumbled t-shirt off the floor. Putting it on she walked across the carpet, stepping over their clothes from the night before.

   Jake's phone laid face down on the windowsill. Reaching out for it Kelsey hesitated, a sense of dread filling her. What was she doing? She never felt this paranoid before, normally she'd think nothing off it. But lately things just weren't making sense; Jake ignoring her for hours at a time after football practice, extra sessions throughout the week, last minute excuses for not making it to her concerts. Kelsey just wanted straight answers, she was missing something vital. Deep down she knows what it is but she needs to see something solid to prove it. Otherwise this cycle of craziness will just keep on going.

   She let out a shaky breath, her fingertips brushing the back of the phone. Looking over her shoulder she took in the man spread across the bed, body entangled in the sheets, mouth hanging open as he slept peacefully. Anyone would be fooled by his appearance.

   Picking the phone up Kelsey clicked the home button and slid her finger up the screen to unlock it. Tapping in the code she tentatively slid downwards to reveal the notifications.

   Scarlett.
   All the notifications from Scarlett.

  The blood drained from Kelsey's face, her knees weak and hands shaking.
Clicking on the green box the conversation loaded before her. Saliva welled in the back of her throat as the nausea set in. Messages explicitly detailing what it was that Jake had been up scrolled onwards.