Chapter Three

19:34pm.

         "This is a disaster."
         "It's not a total disaster, Kels. You've still got time." Mill's voice crackled through Kelsey's phone, the faint rumble of work in the background. "Has he even read the message?"

        "No!" Kelsey cried, her head buried in the pillow. Her phone had dinged a few times since she sent that message but it was only David and Cameron sending comfort and well wishes. "How is it that he's been trying to get my attention for four years, yet can't find the time to answer me this one time! He's a grade A fu-"

       "Fucker. We already know that- Oi! Leon! Make sure you put away the delivery tonight will ya!- Sorry Kels, as I was saying, Jake is an asshole, a fact that is unsurprising. You've given him the opportunity to be a man and he's fumbled it. He could still message but take this as a win, hon. He's out of your life for good now."

       "I want my apology." Kelsey slurred, rolling onto her back and staring at the ceiling, her eyes darting from black spot to black spot.
      "Kels, are you drunk?"
       "No."
      "Kelsey."

      "Ok maybe I'm a little tipsy. I was just nervously sipping wine." Kelsey paused "And then I ran out, so I took a stroll to the closest shop to pick up more."

      "Kelsey Owens! What have I told you about day drinking! Not-"
      "Not to do it alone." Kelsey laughed. She heard Millie chuckle into the phone before letting out a sigh.

      "I wholeheartedly trust in whatever decision you make Kelsey. I'm not going to tell you what to do, just make sure you come back here happy with how you left things."

      "I will. Then we can all meet up and laugh about this." Kelsey smiled. "You've probably got to head back to work right?"

     "Oh yeah, David wanted me back on the bar 5 minutes ago. I love you Kels, truly. See you tomorrow!" Millie made a kiss noise to the phone and Kelsey repeated before ending the call.

     She laid flat out on the bed, eyes staring unblinkingly as her fingers played with the ring on her right hand. It's smooth golden band twisting easily, Kelsey made a note that she needed to get it resized.

       It belonged to her late grandma; an emerald set in a halo of diamonds. 'A beautiful ring, for a beautiful lady' her grandma had said as she gave it to her. The dementia slowly took over but the ring was a constant reminder for Kelsey that her grandma will always be there to hold her hand, even when she could no longer recall who Kelsey was.

       Kelsey's world crumpled  the day she got the call from her dad to tell her that her grandma had passed, but amongst the pain and heartache Kelsey found comfort that her grandma was finally at peace.

      As the thoughts and memories swirled amongst the ceiling pattern, Kelsey wondered what advice her grandma would give in this situation.
Firstly, Kelsey knew her grandma was not overtly fond of Jake so she'd be saying;

       'Good riddance, you're done with him. Why on earth would you want to see that face again, love?' A fantasy dialogue that made Kelsey audibly chuckle. Twisting the ring further she knew without a matter of a doubt what words of wisdom her grandma would give her.

      'Go get what you want.'

    Kelsey sat suddenly upright, reaching for her hair brush and fumbling her make up case out of her bag, she scurried over to the vanity table, nudging the side table slightly causing the two wine bottles to clink together.

     She was going to get exactly what she came here for. Jake tried to paint her as the psycho ex girlfriend to all of her mates once she ended things with him, so why not live up to that reputation whilst in town?