Chapter Eleven

The beep of the coffee machine brought Sean back to reality and the birds singing a chorus outside the kitchen window distracted the thoughts that swam through his mind.

He couldn't deny that there was certainly some feelings brewing up for Kelsey. If the dream he had last night proved anything it most certainly proved that.
Sean reached for the cup, his eyes focusing on the swirling liquid within but his mind drifting once again to the thought of long legs wrapping around his body and flaming red hair sprawled across his pillow.

"Fuck."
Shaking his head in hopes it'd dislodge anymore inappropriate delusions, Sean inhaled his espresso shot, scalding his tongue in the process

Grabbing his headphones off of the counter he placed them firmly around his neck. You've got to pull yourself together. Walking out into the hallway he half focused on slipping his running trainers on as he scrolled through his playlists to find the most bass heaviest song he could. Running had always been the best distraction for Sean, he found it the easiest form of escape, whether that be from his parents arguments, his brothers egotistical fuelled parties or inappropriate thoughts of a certain woman. Sean was getting worried just how quickly he was slipping back into his old routine that he used to have here.

Zipping his key and phone into his shorts pocket he lifted the headphones up over his ears, the bass drilling into his head and the rhythm pushing him forward.

...............................................................................................................................

11:54am

"So let me get this right. You're going on a date with Sean Henderson?" Milly's voice rang out from the phones speaker.

"I'm going on a 'Fake' date." Kelsey clarified as she hopped around the room trying to get her trainer on without undoing the laces.
"Riiiiiiight."

"Sure doesn't sound like a fake date to me-" Cameron's voice interjected. Kelsey could practically feel his eye roll when he spoke those words.

"Cam! if she wants to call it fake let her. We sure know what a standard date for Kels is like."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Snapping upright, Kelsey's hair fell in a mess around her head. Huffing a stray piece out of her eyes she headed over to the desk where her phone was, eyeing it inquisitively as if her friends where able to see her.

"Oh you know-" Milly trailed off, her voice falling distantly away.

"Quick drinks and a one night adventure." David's voice came in from the background.
"A Bed and fled scenario." Cameron put bluntly, a curt laugh following his statement.

"Jesus guys, am I really that bad?" Kelsey exclaimed walking back away from her phone, her eyes scanning to find her hairbrush amongst the numerous products that littered the bedside table.

"You just don't usually date at all. That's why you giving this guy dating advice whilst simultaneously going on a date- be it fake or not- is highly intriguing to me."

"More like suspicious."

"It's honestly nothing." Kelsey answered, a nervous laugh leaving her lips. Her eyes spotting her hairbrush and grabbing it. Turning to look at the full length mirror on the inside of the wardrobe door that she had left open in her haste to get ready she began to pull the brush through sections of red tangles.

"Umhum. If it's nothing then what are you wearing to this 'fake' date?" Cameron's voice teased through the phone, a toothy smile most definitely spread across his face.

Kelsey stared at her reflection. Hair brush frozen partway down the length of her hair. She took in her appearance already knowing what Cameron was hinting at.

"A dress."
"Which dress?"
"A nice one."
"It's the blue polka dot one isn't it."

It was indeed the light blue summer wrap dress with the white polka dots. A well known part of Kelsey's armoury in getting a man.

"Yep." Kelsey popped the 'P' with her lips as she awaited the flurry of voices to vocalise their opinions.

"Oh she means business!"
"This is going to be the best fake date of this poor man's life."
"Does this fake date have fake outcomes? Or can I route for you regardless?"

A ding rung above the collective of voices, fading them to the background. Ignoring her friends and the hypotheses for the evening they were discussing, Kelsey wondered over to her phone and picked it up. The screen lit up with a notification from Sean. Swiping down on the screen Kelsey could see his full message.

I'm outside. Not to rush you but that receptionist has not stopped staring at me.

Kelsey couldn't help the smile that formed, a warmth radiating from her chest as she bounced on her heels.
"Sorry guys but I've got to go."

"Ah it's fake date time."
"Have fun my lovely."
"Be safe!"

"Much love to you all! I'll message after."

Ending the phone call she unplugged her phone from it's charger and slid it into her denim jacket's inner pocket. Picking up her bag from the chair and giving the inside a quick once over to check everything she needed was in there Kelsey felt satisfied that she was ready for whatever this day had involved for her.

Exiting through the strained sliding doors Kelsey spotted Sean, her breathe hitching in her throat. He was casually leaning against the bonnet of his car, arms loosely crossed across his chest and his hair fell in soft waves brushing his forehead with the faint gust of wind. His smile broadened when she emerged, he stood up and walked over to the passenger door opening it in anticipation for her to join.

"So, that one your boyfriend?" Kelsey jumped slightly at the voice that came from beside her. Turning ever so slightly Kelsey made eye contact with Sadie, her usual tightly pulled back hair fell dead straight behind her shoulder blades. She took a huge inhale of her vape before encasing herself and Kelsey in a cloud of blueberry scented Vapour.

"Oh, no. We don't have a label for anything." Kelsey stuttered. "More like friends."

Sadie looked Kelsey up and down, nodding slowly. Her eyebrows raised as her perfectly manicured, acrylic nails tapped against her vape.

"That's a lot of leg for a day out with just a friend." She turned back to look at Sean who was still waiting patiently by the car. "I'm sure he doesn't mind though."

Kelsey tugged on the hem of her dress, willing it down her thighs an extra inch.
"Well I hope you have a good day Sadie, I'll see you later."

"I hope for yours and his sake you don't." Sadie laughed as Kelsey walked towards Sean. Kelsey could feel the blush spreading across her cheeks at Sadie's implication.

Sean stood before her looking draw dropping-ly good for a man just dressed casually in black jeans and a short sleeved, light grey shirt. The top couple buttons undone so that Kelsey couldn't stop but stare, her mind flashing back to when he opened the door topless. How defined his chest was and how his abs that lead down to that perfect V.

"You ready to go?" Sean asked smiling, snapping her back to the present. Moving back he offered out a hand to help her into the car. Taking his hand in hers delicately Kelsey lowered herself into the passenger seat, the bare part of her thighs sinking into the cool leather. Shutting the door after her she watched as Sean walked around the front of the car, giving a small nod and wave to Sadie who was still watching from the side of the entrance.
Opening the door he situated himself beside her, adjusting the mirror and turning the keys in the ignition.
The engine roared to life and as they started to leave the car park, Kelsey could feel the odd glance that Sean was shooting at her. Excitement welled up inside her along with a tinge of fear at the realisation that she's actually developing a crush on the man sat beside her.