Chapter Twelve

The sun fought its way through the layers of cloud, glinting ever so often against the lull of waves hitting the stone shore. Seagulls flew haphazardly, chasing stray wrappers that tumbled across the cracking concrete of the car park, their caws deflecting passer-by's.
Kelsey stood taking in the view, the crashing waves dragging the pebbles away from the coastline into the murky waters. Closing her eyes she inhaled deeply, the salty air filling her lungs.

"Hey Owens, you ready?" Kelsey turned in the direction of Sean's voice. He stood by the open window of the crazy Golf kiosk, a goofy smile spread across his face whilst he held up two putting clubs; one green and one purple.
Kelsey signalled with a thumbs up as she crossed the rest of the car park, the noise of the beach warping into the soundscape of the bustle of the town goers walking along the pavement.

"I'm ready to absolutely destroy you at this." Kelsey smiled taking the green golf club from Seans grasp, her fingers brushing his in a fleeting moment. "Also I thought I told you that this was on me."

"You are incredibly competitive for a game designed for young children's entertainment. But I am more confident that you'll be buying the beers which will be extortionately more expensive than this." Sean laughed stepping up to the first hole. He pulled two golf balls from his back pocket, the same corresponding colours of the clubs. Placing them on the starting mat he straightened up.

"So is the pro going to go first or do you need me to set the standard?" Sean winked. Kelsey stepped up to the plate, not breaking eye contact with Sean she closed the gap between them. Looking up to him her smirk unmoved from her face, she placed her free palm gently on his chest pushing him back in a playful manner. Sean's breathe hitched in his throat, his cocky smile faltering momentarily as her handprint burned through his shirt. He begged she couldn't feel his heartbeat pulsating at an alarming rate due to this brief moment between them. Recovering his composure he played along stumbling back with his arms raised and eyebrows lifted.

"Watch and learn, Henderson." Kelsey smiled turning away from Sean and lining up her shot, leant over she aligned her ball to the hole across the raised hills. Wiggling her hips Sean felt his cheeks flush as he averted his eyes to the sky.

Whack!

The ball sailed over the first bump gaining air and landing past the second hill and coming to a stop slightly to the right of the hole. Kelsey jumped round to face Sean.

"Ha! Take it all in." She teased as she skipped back towards the end of the first hole. Stepping forward Sean couldn't take his eyes off of the enigmatic female in front of him, her energy radiating throughout her entire being.

"I am." He whispered to himself as she was busy figuring out the next shot. "Now watch this." He called out a little louder to get her attention. Gently he pulled back his club, striking it with enough force that it gracefully glided across the course and straight into the hole with a satisfying clunk. He looked up to see Kelsey's mouth agape in shock.

"I thought you didn't play this type of game?!" She accused, pointing her club at him.

"No I don't. But I do have a membership at my local golf club." He smiled.

"Oh no fair!"
  "I Think it's plenty fair. You have sold yourself as a bit of a crazy golf champion to me, so unless you've not been telling the truth-"

  "Uh-uh! None of that. I'm still going to beat you." Kelsey interrupted, the shock now gone from her face and a new fire lit behind her eyes. "I'm going to win by any means possible."

Sean watched on as she gently putted her ball into the hole, intrigue flooding his mind from Kelsey's words.

.................................................................................................