Chapter Twenty-One

Sean held open the door, the bell above tinkling softly to announce their entrance. Stepping inside the quaint Italian restaurant, Kelsey eyed the display of authentic vintage Olive oil bottles that lined the back wall. Tendrils of greenery weaved amongst the bottles and books, carefully tucked above rustic wooden frames containing aged photos of Italian landscapes and candid photos of joyous moments.

  Kelsey's breath was taken from her. It was beautiful in here, the dim lighting and gentle symphony of stringed instruments transported her out of her hometown. Sean smiled down at her, his eyes eagerly watching her reaction.

  A smiling middle aged man approached them, a thick black moustache lining his top lip.
      "Sir, Madame." He greeted, bowing his head slightly. "May I offer you a seat?"

Sean pulled his attention away from Kelsey, his hand wrapping around her waist as he greeted the host.
    "Thank you. I called earlier, booking under Henderson?"

The Man's eyes lit up, his hands clasping excitedly in front of him, his round cheeks going rosy as his smile spread wider.

      "Oh yes! If you'd like to follow me up the stairs to our private area." He turned away, walking towards the back of the small restaurant towards an old wooden stair case, it's bannister ordained in fake vining flowers. Sean extended his hand forward, insisting that Kelsey followed first.

  Her heels clicked against the tiled floor as she past by numerous tables set up for evening service. An elderly couple sat shoulder to shoulder in a side booth raised their full glasses of red wine to them as they passed. Their eyes crinkled and wrinkles lined their face but youthful joy was still present in their smiles and laughs as the man whispered something to the women before giving her a gentle peck on the cheek.

  Kelsey's heart warmed. Maybe love wasn't something she should just throw to the ground claiming it to be a farce? Maybe, just maybe. If she gave it a chance. Love could be better than before?

   Her hand grazed the bannister as she ascended, the stairs creaking with each step. Reaching the top, her mouth fell open. Taking in the view before her it was something she'd only ever seen in movies.

Tiny lights shone above like the stars, Olive trees sat in terracotta pots in the corners of the room, their branches climbing and settling against the brick work. But her gaze focused on the table set up before her. Two chairs sat across from each other, a wooden table between adorned in a sage green table cloth and pillar candles. Light pink rose petals scattered across the table top, their aroma filling the air. But the part that had Kelsey speechless was the giant window that the table was next too. The view showing the stretch of beach and the vast sea that ran off from it. The sky was painted with blues and purples, brushes of vibrant oranges and yellows danced amongst them as the sun was beginning to set.

Sean brushed past her, his hand gently taking hers as he lead her towards the table. The host standing to the left, two menus clasped in his arms.

Dropping her hand Sean pulled a chair out from the table, holding it out for Kelsey to take a seat.
     "Thank you." Kelsey whispered, her eyes still wide in amazement. Taking the seat opposite, Sean settled down.

     "Your menus." The host proclaimed, placing a menu down in front of them both. "May I get you two any drinks?" He looked between them both, his smile never faltering.

   Looking up at Sean, Kelsey let out a little giggle. The realisation of what was going on finally setting in. He raised an eyebrow, a small laugh leaving his lips too.

      "Just water for the table if that's ok?" Kelsey replied, smiling up at the host.
      "Of course, Madame." Turning away from them he walked over to the bar that was at the far end of the room. Looking back over at Sean, Kelsey's hands dropped on the table, her shoulders slouching as another laugh of disbelief left her mouth.