Chapter Twenty-Three

Stars speckled the night sky, sparkling through wisps of purple and blue. Trees blurred past in painted streaks as the car cruised down the road. Sean was focusing intently on the road, passing cars headlights illuminating his picturesque face, capturing an expression that art historians could study for centuries but right now Kelsey held it within her own gaze.

With one hand on the wheel and the other reaching across and resting lightly on Kelsey's thigh, Sean's long fingers traced barely perceivable circles across the silk fabric, causing a heat to rise on her skin from beneath his movements.

Keeping her breathing under control Kelsey reached for her phone, settling into the comfortable silence she unlocked it and opened the group chat.

Kels: Still here...very glad I stuck around. This feels like something worth pursuing xx
10:34pm

Slipping her phone back into her bag she sat back smiling, her eyes shutting as flashes from the pier appeared behind her eyelids. Sean's hands wrapping around her waist, pulling her closer to him, his lips full and soft against hers, a hunger lingering behind a thin wall. His breath mingling with hers as they pulled back, foreheads touching and smiles mirrored.

A squeeze of her thigh brought her back to the present, her eyes opening slowly, the man beside her still looking forward but his smile pulled to the side. No doubt he too was thinking back to that moment.

The car turned onto the familiar street that the Henderson's lived on. The street lights lighting up driveway after driveway as they passed by till one driveway in particular was illuminated with a spot left for Sean to park his car. The car slowed as it approached, the sound of gravel crackling as the wheels passed over till coming to a stop. Cutting the engine, Sean removed his hand from Kelsey's thigh, the ghost of his imprints still burned into her skin.

Unbuckling their seatbelts they opened their doors in unison. Sean exiting swiftly and heading round the front of the car to hold the passenger door open for Kelsey, his hand extended in an offer to assist her. Reaching for it, the tingle of their skin touching returned to Kelsey. His hand warm in hers, she never wanted to let it go.

"You ready for this?" Sean's voice was low against the night air. "I have no clue what's in store for us on the other side of that door." He tilted his head towards the looming house, an amused grin painted on his face.

Taking a deep breathe, Kelsey gathered herself.
"Bring it on."

Locking the car behind him, Sean pulled Kelsey under his arm as they walked towards the front door.

The entranceway was surprisingly empty. Kelsey stood still, eyes darting to the left and right, half expecting one of the Henderson's to jump out from anywhere. Sean quietly shut the door behind him, stepping further into the room, tilting his head upwards to look up the stairs. There was no sign of anyone there.

"Mum?" He called out. "Dad?"

Silence. Turning back to Kelsey he met her wide eyes and shrugged. He opened his mouth to say something but the sound of a door sliding open stopped him in his tracks. Both Kelsey and Sean's heads turned to look towards the living room, the source of where the sudden noise sounded.

Martha Henderson emerged from around the corner, two empty wine glasses in her hand. Her cheeks dusted in pink and a slight wobble in her walk hinted at where that wine had gone. Seeing her eldest son and Kelsey in front of her she jumped suddenly, catching herself against the doorframe.

"Sean!" She exclaimed placing her hand over her heart, taking a moment to collect herself. "Sweeties it's so good to see you both home. Come now, your father and I are sat in the garden. You must join us."

Better Than BeforeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara