22.The engraved line that binds the Devil's sanity and insanity

Začít od začátku

She beamed at my words, a soft scarlet shade emerged on her already flushed pink cheeks. "Thankyou. Āmāra mā āmākē ēbhābē dēkhē ēkēbārē ābēgāpluta haẏē yābēna."

(My mom will become totally mushy after seeing me like this.)

My face must have mirrored my thoughts because I couldn't grasp on a single word she said. And she softly laughed on it. "I need to show this to mum." I smiled as she went on calling her mother.

When she speaks in Bengali, her British accent takes over. And it's actually amusing to hear this contrast version. After meeting her, I learned that she is half Indian and half English. She is a born Indian but raised in London.

It took us another hour to select dresses for every function and her excitement bubbled up as she picked a few more dresses.

"Is it done yet ?" A visibly annoyed Aarav appeared out of nowhere. Mishti and I swapped a glance before nodding our heads. And next Aarav beckoned the sales girl to take the selected dresses for billing.

Aarav extended his hand and on cue, Mishti handed him over her card which he snatched a little too harshly. "Since mom says we should gift something when a close one visits us for the first time, I'll pay for the dress." He stated. "But only for one."

God! Why is he so pesky ? Mishti scofs audibly at his affirmation. "You should get 'ass' stamped on your head. Asshole." Dismissing her words, Aarav walked away towards the billing counter.

"How did you two even manage to remain friends without killing each other ?" I don't know where this question is coming from ? Again I'm thinking of the same things, which I shouldn't. We barely used to talk when we were friends. It was always me doing or reading something and him just staring at me.

God! Mishika, it was just one of his devious plays.

Mishti's eyebrows arched, her unwavering gaze settling on me and it made me shift uncomfortably on my spot. Gradually a faint small smile tugged at the sem of her lips. "Let me be honest, I nagged him to the edge to accept my friendship. And yes, he is somewhat a terrible friend."

"But boy once frustratingly told me that he doesn't know how to be someone's friend because he never had one." My lips rounded in an O shape, my mind contemplating whatever she just said. And my throat parched. "That boy deliberately never let anyone step beyond his facade."

We both sprinted to the exit of the botique and our eyes fell on Aarav and Ishan. Ishan was on his phone looking desperate and annoyed, it must be Deepti then. And speaking of the devil, he was looking in our direction. However even my subconscious self knows where his eyes are fixed as if_ as if there is nothing else in the world to see.

Even from afar, the fervency of his incendiary gaze has my pulse quickening and skin warming up. And what Mishti said next, made me abruptly halt on my spot. "He only accepted my friendship since my name meant the same as yours."

She didn't just say that!?
~
~
~
Aarav's pov
"Mom" my voice was loud and my steps were quick, eager to reach out to the first most important woman of my life.

Mom was instructing the servants when I entered the kitchen and wrapped my arms around her from behind. "So much buttering is bad for health, bub." I could sense the knowing smile of hers when she patted my cheeks. "I've personally prepared your favourite lunch."

Getting cue from mom, the servants walked out with the food to arrange them on the dining table.

As I stepped aside, my wife and my mother embraced each other. These two women is what I fucking need to function properly and to maintain my sanity. While one has given my life a meaningful reason, the other unknowingly possesses the spell to change the entire dimension of my life. The authority these two women have over my existence is terrifying and I fucking relish feeling this terror.