The 'Perfect' Dungeon

Azrael and Kali were perfect twins in all except one facet of their lives. While both had awoken classes, lady Azrael had been gifted with the necromancer class while lady Kali had be blessed with the dark elementalist class. While the classes were quite similarly themed, they were in no way the same class nor were they the ideal match up for a party of two. Luckily, as the daughters of a marquise, they had strong, well-trained knights to rely on.

As nobles, it was their responsibility to become strong adventurers who wouldn't let their people down. Their kingdom was a monarchy, but all positions of nobility had to be earned. Rather than noble titles being passed down to the oldest male child or whoever had the best skills when it came to managing a territory, the children of nobility had to prove themselves first as adventurers. It was necessary for nobility to have excellent strength, knowledge, and territory management skills in order to guarantee they would be able to maintain their position as nobility.

Anyone who became an S-rank adventurer, regardless of their previous social status, would end up being offered the chance to be granted their own noble title. They would then proceed to receive marriage offers from the current nobility. Having a strong adventurer marry into ones family would almost guarantee that noble family would be able to maintain, if not increase, their social status for the next generation or two.

If a child was born into a noble family without a class, the best they could hope for was to be used as a political pawn for marriage. However, even that rarely went well. High-ranking noble families wanted to maintain their prestige by having strong heirs that married other strong and talented individuals. Even a craftsman class would be more valuable than someone born without any class at all.

That was actually why Azrael was here, in this dungeon, today with her twin sister and three of their family's knights. She needed to farm experience so that she could level up and grow strong enough to marry into a decent family. Luckily, since they both had a class, they weren't at risk of being disowned and being thrown out. At worst, they would become knights if they couldn't become the heir of the family or find a decent marriage partner.

One of the three guards with them paid the fee to the dungeon guards and they finally made their way into the dungeon. There were likely several other parties already in this dungeon, but this was one of the better ones to level up in. For whatever reason, the dungeon master of this dungeon seemed to be obsessed with efficiency. The dungeon was filled with as many rooms as possible to ensure there were plenty of monsters to defend the dungeon as well as making sure very little of the dungeon space went to waste.

Almost all of the rooms were 16 meter x 16 meter square dungeon rooms. This gave the otherwise cave-like dungeon rooms a rather artificial appearance. However, there were also some other room styles, where necessary. For example, straight ahead of the dungeon entrance, there were two rectangular rooms in a row. The first was the room for putting tributes, which was where they were heading now. The next was an altar to the patron deity of the dungeon.

Azrael pulled a small, intricately decorated chalice out of her magic bag before placing it on what little room was remaining on one of the several wooden tables in the room. Despite it still being rather early in the day and there being an entire six large tribute tables, the tables were full. This wasn't surprising as the dungeon was always busy and several hundred people came through here on a daily basis.

After the others finished placing their items as well, their group moved on to one of the rooms. As this floor of the dungeon hadn't changed in years and they could easily afford a map, it was easy to navigate the traps. Almost every room, save for the boss room, tribute room, and altar room, had three goblins in them. However, after walking around the wooden barricades, jumping across the pitfall traps and avoiding the wall push traps, they still didn't see any monsters. While they could easily stay in the room and wait for the monsters to respawn, it would likely be better to head deeper into the dungeon.