1.23 Aspiring Swordsman

Before laying down to rest for the night, Violet put another 50MP into increasing the depth of the hole she created. The hole was then finished the next morning using 10MP of the 13MP that was regenerated. The kodama had found some samaras or 'helicopters' from a maple tree, red clover flowers, and three other [Items] that had ended up being repeats. So, Violet now had 381DP on hand alongside her leftover 3MP.

Still, Violet felt quite happy that the 10 meters deep rectangular hole was finished being constructed. Soon enough, she'd have another challenge room set up, which was good news because Violet was starting to feel like her dungeon was too empty. It was too quiet in most of the hallways and there just wasn't much to look at. It would be nice to have some new slime [Monsters] running around as well as some new scenery to enjoy.

While it was tempting to do some research with all of the extra DP she had, Violet was worried about what else she would need to spend it on in the process of building the few rooms she already had ideas for. Just building a large pool of water required quite a bit of research, so Violet could only imagine she would end up having to spend even more of her dungeon points in the next few days.

While Violet was relaxing in her wildflower meadow and enjoying the sunrise and the sight of her single slime monster bouncing around aimlessly, Violet felt the familiar sensation of someone entering her dungeon. While Violet was starting to feel more comfortable around people again, it was still tempting to retreat to the dungeon core room once more. However, it had been a while since she had the chance to talk to anyone besides David and Violet was curious who had shown up this time.

Gregory walked into the room with a rather excited-looking Henry in tow. Violet smiled, happy to see the two return. It had been quite a few days since she had seen them, after all, and she was curious why they hadn't returned in so long.

"Greetings, mistress Violet! I hope it isn't too early to be bothering you. I've brought a tomato and celery for tribute today."

Gregory walked towards the tree in the meadow, quickly dropping the tribute off while Henry immediately started hacking away at Violet's slime. It would seem the child was eager to make up for lost time. Even despite his enthusiasm, Violet could see that Henry was taking the fight seriously, though, so she let it be. At least her poor slime could respawn and it was unlikely it would have to suffer for long since Henry's strikes seemed to be much more skillful than even the last time he had visited. Perhaps he had been practicing at home.

"Do you think he's improving any? We've been hoping he will get lucky and awaken a class when he is older, but we don't have the money to get him appraised. So, I've been hoping he will gain enough experience for the system to appear on its own and tell him what class he has. If it doesn't show up by the time he turns twelve, it is unlikely that he will get a class at all and I'll have to teach him how to farm so he can take over once I die."

Violet's eyes lit up with interest at this information. That would explain why Alice already had a class, despite only being slightly older than Henry was. Perhaps it was a matter of being born with a class or perhaps it was just something that had to be developed before a child hit puberty? Either way, perhaps it was good for Violet to have her first floor be more suitable as a training ground for children and new adventurers. She had been forced into it a bit by her system assigning her such a weak starter [Monsters], but Theodore had certainly set her fate when he restricted her to only have [Traps] in the area directly before the dungeon core room.

"Well, he is welcome to continue to train here. I wish him luck in unlocking a class that suits him. Is he hoping to unlock a swordsman class of some sort?"

Gregory nodded at Violet's question before replying

"Henry has always admired the knights ever since he saw one escorting the local tax keeper around tax collection time. However, it also doesn't help that he can't really study magic since we can neither afford to send him to an academy nor hire an adventurer as a tutor for him. If I had been an adventurer, it likely wouldn't have been difficult to arrange something for him, but I never was granted a class.

I don't want to hold him back from trying to create a better life for himself than I've had. However, it is only because your dungeon is so close to our town and has suitable [Monsters] that he even has this chance. Most children aren't so fortunate and can only hope to change their fates by throwing themselves into dungeons when they come of age and are considered their own person. Without knowing if they actually have a class or not until they have killed a few [Monsters], it often leads to many desperate fools losing their lives."

Violet was honestly even more confused now. It sounded like someone either had a class or they didn't, but the soonest it would show up was some time in the early stages of a child going into puberty. Yet, they could only unlock a system screen after they gained enough experience from killing [Monsters]. So most wouldn't know if they had a class or not unless they risked their lives to find out or paid an appraiser to check for them. Still, that didn't really answer Violet's initial question of what determines if someone is assigned a class or not.

"Are there other professions besides farming that people can become without being assigned an official class?"

Gregory nodded as he explained

"Some merchants have classes related to alchemy or enchanting, but there are also merchants and tradesmen who don't have classes. However, that would require being taken as an apprentice and taught the skills or, even better, being born into a family that could teach you those skills. Neither Henry nor myself had that luxury, though, so all we have is farming to fall back on."

Violet felt like she was making Gregory uncomfortable, so she didn't ask any more questions. It wasn't like he knew the full picture, anyway. That much she had already learned the hard way when [Monsters] had invaded her dungeon and caught her off guard. While Violet felt more confident she could handle another batch of zombies, she had already learned her lesson. She'd have to take everything people told her with a grain of salt.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Can't wait to read more? Check out my Patreon! For $5 / month you can get full access to my works including:

76 early access chapters

2 PDF copies

End of chapter shout-out

Exclusive Discord role

A special thanks to the following Patreon subscribers:

Precious Pixies: Abborre, Abraham H., AddictedToReading, Andalumeni, Angie B., Athena A., Azgaroth, BeeRusty, Brian B., Bryan V., Bryan W., BTBurns, Call0013, CapeShifter. CHoobler, Daniel, David M., Davvy C., Deus V., Devin C., Dustin C., Dyna J., East, Edgedancer, Emma B., EMthe4th, Enleed, Ephemeral, Faler, Fernando O., Gabriel B., Gingix, Harry M., Isaac B., J3_Haustkottr, Jake D., Jaskjj, Jebus 145, Joe, Joey, John D., Justin W., Kelly, KramZe, Lemongrass G., LifeOfConfusion, Logically R., Luc_99, Marshall C., Mech B., Merr49, Miranda B., Mudcrab with a knife, Nathanial F., Nicholas B., Niko N., Nini, Noel S., Nowwho, OdeToAKite, Pandagirl62, Paradox, Patricia O., Phantom, Red, Roethan, Roy K., Salix, Salvador A., Sejer S., ShadeByTheSea, Shadow R., Shinae, Some BS Deity, Sup3r J4k3, That Guy, Tiff L., Tiffany B., Tomas K., Traitors, Uber Pop, Vantar, Vetii, VoidWorldGaming 1116, Xalibur, Zachary P., Zane

Darling Dragon: Killer K.,

Dungeon Enthusiast: Bache F.,

Discontinued: Dagoon320, David Z., Doc., Juha, Nick T., Sboss678, ScorpioPerk, Steven B., Throwaway493, Tom P., Travis S.,

Patreon Link: https://www.patreon.com/AutumnPlunkett

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Don't forget to check out the Discord! I've got several channels set up for story discussion, useful story information, and even chapter alerts so you can get notified right away when a new chapter is released!

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/2x6cfYfB9d

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-