The question Of Eternity

Later that night, David visited with Alice once more. However, nothing interesting occurred. David brought Violet some pickled cucumbers and bell peppers as a tribute, which gave her another 45 dungeon points and brought her total up to 165DP. Violet wasn't ready to start trying to play the role of a dungeon merchant yet, but she still spent the entire 100MP she earned from David's two back to back visits on items she could later sell.

40MP went towards four lesser mana potions, 40MP towards two health potions, 10MP towards wild violets and honey lollipops, and 10MP was spent on two tins of black tea leaves. Violet wasn't sure if anyone would want to buy potions from her or not, but it seemed like a logical thing to invest in. Even if she couldn't manage to sell the potions to adventurers, maybe she'd be able to give them to some of her [Monsters] later on. More intelligent [Monsters] would likely know how to use them and would make good use of them to put up a better fight against any intruders. Still, Violet primarily planned to try and market her goods towards adventurers.

The new day brought another 13MP, which 10MP was spent on a glass jar full of honey. Violet's kodama also brought another four repeats, which brought her up to 169DP total. It would seem that even despite how hard the kodama was working, it's efforts were in vain. There didn't seem to be anything new for it to forage for. Iris wondered if this was due to the season or perhaps its size being too limiting. It was unlikely that it could go very far with such a small stature, after all.

Since Violet felt like she had enough after last night's spending spree to start testing the concept of playing a dungeon merchant out today, she rested in the wildflower meadow and waited for someone to come and visit. Surprisingly, Theodore was actually the first to turn up. It had been several days since she had last seen him, so she smiled happily as she stood up to greet him.

Theodore offered Violet a friendly smile as he asked

"How have you been lately? I see you're still insisting on greeting people as soon as they enter the dungeon..."

Violet rolled her eyes as she replied

"Actually, I've been spending most of my time sleeping and resting in the dungeon core room recently. This is one of the first times in a while that I've tried to meet with adventurers. You just happened to coincidently be the first person I met today."

Theodore frowned as he asked

"Are you depressed? I know older dungeon masters tend to sleep more, but that's usually after they've established a large portion of their dungeon. It makes it easier to pass the time while the amass the dungeon points needed to invest in new floors and upgrades for their dungeon. You should still have plenty to do, though, as a newer dungeon master."

Violet shrugged as she replied

"I like sleeping. I don't really need to sleep, but I can fall asleep right away whenever I lay down with the intentions to do so. Plus, I get to have pleasant dreams of my life before I reincarnated."

Theodore pursed his lips, looking concerned. He didn't exactly want to pry into Violet's emotional state too much. Besides, it was only a real concern if the dungeon core was being affected by her mental state. Even if she were depressed or traumatized and was using sleep as a way to escape reality, it wasn't an issue so long as her mental state was otherwise stable enough to not corrupt the dungeon core. Due to Theodore's prolonged silence, Violet asked

"So, I actually had some questions about managing the dungeons in the long term. Like, do I really have to live forever? Doesn't it get rather boring for older dungeons once they run out of space to build?"

Theodore's eyebrows had jumped up in concern at Violet's initial question, but his face evened out by the time Violet finished talking. The question of eternity wasn't exactly something most dungeon masters worried about so early on. Most wouldn't even think to ask until several decades to hundreds of years after becoming a dungeon master. Still, it wasn't like it wasn't a question that Theodore couldn't answer.