Chapter 38: You Take The Responsibility~

"She is the only daughter of Grandpa and Grandma, and Aunt's mother is Grandpa's second wife." Nian Wenran paused for a moment, "Actually, I should call her Grandma. But Grandpa doesn't allow me to call her that, so I call her Laolao (paternal grandmother)."

"It seems like they have a big conflict."

Nian Wenran nodded: "It's not just a little bit, it's practically irreconcilable."

"Could you elaborate?" Lin An asked cautiously.

It turns out, life is filled with melodrama.

Nian Wenran's Laolao's surname is Li, and she is the only daughter of a small business family, quite spoiled at home. Laolao loves Grandpa Nian dearly, but Grandpa Nian doesn't like her and has always clearly rejected her.

Moreover, Grandpa Nian quickly married someone he liked later on. However, Grandma Nian's health was not very good, and with proper care, she could have lived longer. 

But later, she became pregnant, and Grandpa Nian was afraid her body couldn't bear it and didn't want her to have the child. However, she insisted on giving birth, and Grandpa Nian eventually agreed.

Giving birth did indeed take a toll on her health, but with good care, there were no major issues. However, fundamentally, her constitution wasn't strong, and she passed away after a few years.

At that time, Laolao Li happened to be staying in Jiangshi City. Something happened in between; anyway, she had an inappropriate relationship with Grandpa Nian, details of which only Grandpa and Laolao knew.

Initially, Grandpa Nian was furious and sent Laolao back. The two families had some business dealings, but after this incident, relations cooled to an all-time low.

They thought the matter would end like that, but unexpectedly, Laolao Li became pregnant. She kept it a secret from her family and Grandpa Nian for seven or eight months before finally telling them.

Both families had to consider face and the imminent birth of the child, so, in the end, they obtained a marriage certificate.

However, it was only on paper. Grandpa Nian would only see Laolao when it was necessary for the child's affairs. Unable to endure this cold treatment, Laolao Li still refused to divorce.

Aunt had always lived with Laolao, unaware of the grievances between her parents. She only knew that her father was heartless to her mother, who spent her days in tears, lamenting the passing of seasons.

As a result, Aunt's relationship with Grandpa Nian had never been good. After she graduated from high school, she applied to a foreign university and forcefully took her mother abroad, cutting off contact with the Nian family.

Except for Nian Wenran.

Nian Wenran and her Aunt remained in frequent contact, and their relationship was quite good.

The plane finally arrived.

Lin An and Nian Wenran saw the person who came to pick them up as soon as they exited the airport. This person happened to be Nian Wenran's aunt.

"Auntie, over here," Nian Wenran waved to her aunt.

A woman with a strong and assertive demeanor walked towards them.

"Hello," Lin An greeted proactively, extending his hand.

Nian Wenran's aunt shook his hand in return, her tone somewhat cold, "Hello, Nian Aili."

Upon hearing this name, Lin An was momentarily stunned. That name is quite straightforward.

As they chatted about Nian Wenran's experiences during this period, Nian Aili listened attentively and occasionally gave appropriate responses.