Arc 3 chapter 8: value of preparation

"Oi, Rich kid. Why are you spacing out? Are you going to buy an appa or not?"

"What? Oh... I don't really feel quite... But then again I'm used to wearing masks- kha. hahaha. Hahahahaha. By now it should be easy, right?"

"Oi, are you okay? You look awfully pale."

"Don't pretend like you care, and give me a silver worth of appas, will you?"

Subaru flicks a silver coin and the shopkeeper catches it. He starts packing the appas for him, and Subaru mumbles to himself

Subaru mumbles to himself in a low voice that is barely distinguishable in a loud crowd.
"That's right I have been alone in this. I can't fight for myself, I can't fight for others, now I can't even die in peace. I feel like throwing up.
Nothing about me has changed, I am still in that corridor punching at air while that guy mocks my futility.
The earth spirit is right: I'm slothful. When he took over my body I could hear him laughing and repeating that over and over. Explaining just how and where I failed."

The shopkeeper hands him appas.

"I can see you're troubled kid, but I think burning bridges is ironically not a bright idea. Don't rudely push away people that try to be friends with you."

"Friends? What does that word even mean? They are either dead or smart enough to walk away."

Subaru walks away toward the Crusch manor.

"Yup even Geto-kun is most probably dead. He's not getting past that assassin. He's too soft. The only way to win, is to become like him. That bounty Riko had on her head?

It was probably him. One month ago it was a mere speculation, but after meeting with Elsa and Petelguse, I'm now convinced.

First he got rid of me then he tired Onii-sama out. Then he used that wretched dagger: was it the inverted spear of heaven? Anyways it probably cost a lot of money, on the black market.

A bounty hunter with zero cursed energy? There was a rumour of a Zenin clan member that was cast out because he lacked the talent for cursed energy. It was said that his hatred for sorcerers would destroy the whole Jujutsu society. He probably got his fair share of suffering."

Subaru's face twisted beyond sheer wrath. He enjoyed the possibility that the Zenin assassin's life was miserable. Inwardly he cursed the bastard and his entire family tree to brutal damnation:
"Good!

Despite how much I hate you, I will use you as a blueprint for becoming strong. That man lived as he pleased, killed who he wanted to kill, and destroyed anything for his own convenience and profit. I'll do the same, except unlike you I will actually be useful to society.
I will be...

I will be."
Subaru certainly didn't wear the face of a confident person.

Later on, at a dinner table, Subaru speaks out:
"I don't want to waste anyone's time, I can assure you that appa pie is not poisonous.

I'm not going to sugarcoat it I am planning to make use of you. No, scratch that. You're going to make yourself useful to me."

Felix slammed the table:
"How dare nyou speak like that, after the hospitality we gave to nyou?!"

Crusch motioned her knight to sit down:
"Felix, drop it. Why this sudden change of attitude, Subaru? Why do you expect me, a potential future ruler to bend to your will?"

Subaru leaned in with a smile:
"Simple because I am going to fight a White whale with or without your help. And I am going to defeat it. But killing him myself would leave a bad taste in my mouth. That's because..."