Arc 2 chapter 1: calm before the storm

"Subaru!" Reinhard catches Subaru's body halfway on his trajectory to the ground.

"I- is he hurt?" Emilia worriedly intertwined her hand's fingers like a prayer, squeezing them together hard.

"Don't take it too personally Emilia-sama, but seeing you must have pushed him over the edge." Reinhard was furious at himself and sorrowful at his friend.

"Oh! Do I really hurt him that much just being present? Is my form really that disgusting?" Emilia was on the verge of crying.

Reinhard shakes his head:
"I am unworthy to speak of this great man's emotional troubles, however you could not be more wrong."

"Then-" Emilia yipped.

"It is precisely because he cares too much about you that he broke. He didn't want you to see him like this."

"Liar!" Emilia had her eyes tearing up trough her anger:
"He's nothing but a stranger, I have never met him in my life!"

"Lady Emilia I promised Subaru not to tell anybody, however I can't bear to see him hurt anymore than this. So in order to mend his relationship with you, I'm going to break that promise."

"You're willing to break a promise? Do you have any idea how important they are?!" Emilia was fuming under her restrained face.

"I have already done irreparable damage by not being here for him, my honour as a man is the least of my worries right now. But you must promise not to tell anybody else."

Emilia took deep breaths.
"Not even Puck?"

"The name of your contract spirit?"

Emilia nodded in affirmation.

"If you feel obligated to, then I wouldn't want to be a reason for a discord between the contractor and her spirit."

"Good! Because I wouldn't listen to you otherwise."

"Subaru is cursed with the ability to gain unnatural information about someone, and apparently he can do it without ever meeting them."

"Wait you said unnatural, what does that mean?"

"I can't say much, but the more natural power he possesses is to see better than most. Subaru's eyes are special. It empowers him physically, I think... Also he can see someone's abilities with it, much more than I am aware of. He calls it Six eyes."

"So are these two features connected?"

"I would've thought so too, but he said to me that when he becomes the strongest he doesn't want to ever use that curse ever again."

"So unnatural means that this ability was forced upon him? I think I get what you're saying. What does it have to do with me?"

...

"He decided to help you didn't he? Not only that but to save the girl and the giant. In that room of the loot house is an assassin, and a vile one at that. They are the infamous bowel hunter."

"But why go trough it. Look how hurt he is."

"I think it's because he learned enough about you: to care for you."

"So it's because of me that he's willing to put himself in a danger." Her fists clenched.
"I never asked for that. Reinhard could you take Subaru to Astrea manor."

"Emilia, as much as I would like to be there for him..." Reihard remembers his eyes: "I can never heal his heart and mind. I was too late for that."

"You said you were his friend, why are you-"