Arc 1 chapter 4: what is your name?

Natsuki Subaru arrived at the wooden bridge on the entrance of the slums. This was the place where Emilia talked to spirits in his last life. He was 2 hours early compared to that time.

His fists clenched on the wooden pole.

Robbed. That's how he has felt. Robbed of something precious.

'Pathetic isn't it. I should've been stronger not to fall in love the first place. Yet I can't help but feel that way about her.'

He marches down following Felt's residual cursed energy.

'When was the moment she drew me in? It was at first glance I understood her strength and her troubles. But it was when she turned to help me that truly captivated me.'

He walks past the loot house.

'I wanted to test her heart. How can such a selfless being exist. It goes against the very nature of Jujutsu sorcerery and everything I have ever known. You have to be selfish, to pursue a goal, in order to die without regrets.'

He arrived at Felts home.

'Yet what is your goal? That Insignia means so much to you, but you're willing to toss it all away for a stranger you didn't even trust and a little girl.'

He rummages through her stuff...

'You call yourself Satella, taking the sins of the world, and you watch someone you gradually care about more and more, destroy you from inside out.'

He finds nothing, so he exits.

'Is it sick that I love you even more because of that? Do I enjoy your anguish? The fact that you had been tormented by the entire world for most of your life? Am I really like that: sadistic gut-hunter?'

He sits near by a tree.

'no, if anything I want to make this world bow down before you for having the gull to oppose you.'

People walk by, and he looks at them aimlessly

'should you even want that? No, you definitely wouldn't. What drives you to such lengths? To be willing to destroy yourself if need be? Because the world decided to?'

His fists clenched, but then it released.

'Why should I care anyway? It's not like you'll remember me... You have Reinhard now. He will do far greater job.'

His entire body became lifeless.

'He is a better man in general. Kindhearted. Accepting. Selfless. Strong.'

His breathing slowed

'What do I have to offer. A promise that I'll get better? For how long would you have to wait for that to happen? How many tragedies would you endure. I have already caused more than I can ever hope to redeem myself.'

A bird flows past him.

'Is that what I wanted? To redeem myself? To use you as a crutch for my previous failures? What, so I can forget that I murdered everybody I ever loved?'

A drunkard stumbles and forcibly kisses the ground.

'That monster might have been the killer, but I was most definitely his blade. I couldn't even stop him, and because of it he will continue murdering families just because he can.'

His gaze is fixated on a beggar mother and daughter bringing their daily haul.

'I hate him! I hate him! I hate him! I hate him! I hate... Me.'