Arc 3 chapter 7: descent into hell

The blade drops down diagonally cutting into the right shoulder and exiting through the left ribcage. The victim didn't even have time to register what happened before the upper part of their body just slides off the now squelchy surface, and flopped on the floor. Possessing no diaphragm, there was no way to expel the remaining air in the lung. And so the moving mouth of the butchered could not produce any sound. There was no way to vocalise his surprise.

Freeing the merchant with a precise slash at the chains sends a shockwave of wind tripping over the lower part of the corpse. The upper part of the body still had the heart still pumping blood, so it quickly fills the floor in a red sticky viscous substance.

"I don't understand. Why would you go that far?" A man dressed in green asks quietly.

Subaru starts to search the remains:
"Shocking, right? Hmmmm.

Why was he piloting a human? The spirit resided in the brain area. Any body movement was made solely with mana, instead of neuron charge. That's why he looked like a puppet while moving."

Subaru scratches his head:
"But why doesn't he have a presence outside his body. Perhaps he has a defect. Even spirits possess some material shell, they can't exist as a pure mana.

So that's probably why it sank into the earth as a temporary substitute. Too bad my six eyes can't follow that deep into the ground." Subaru takes a Gospel and puts it in a spare pocket he had in the underside buttoned shirt front:

"There is also the problem of that invisible thing. Is it still there in his body? That power didn't die out? Usually everything dies when the user dies. Meli's death- huemphmm" Subaru suppresses his urge to throw up:

"just focus on something else. Cursed energy can also either dissipate or mutate into a cursed spirit. It seems it is neither? It is still here waiting."

Otto interupts his mumbling session:
"Ummm it's not like I want to interrupt your disturbing corpse examining hobby. But what happens to me now?"

"It is not a hobby, it's my job. I call myself Shin Jujutsushi, but I guess you could say I am a witch cultist bounty hunter. And I will do anything to gain any sort of informational advantage. Tell me, what did they ask you, and how much did you tell them?"

"Ueeehhh, why are you still wearing that mask, and using that voice, it's scary."

"The less information I give the enemy the better. The boss might be defeated but the organisation can still cause harm. Elsa how is it looking on your part?"

"Everyone in the cave was eliminated, I have left one for integration. Their tendons are cut so they won't be able to run or retaliate."

"Excellent, I hope you didn't make them suffer too much, despite how despicable they are. So Otto-kun, what am I working here? How much does the enemy know about me?"

Otto was shaking:
"That guy asked me for a name and job, I answered.

Then he asked me how I got away from white whale, I said I barely managed to escape with my dragon carriage.

They asked me if I had help, I tried to resist but eventually I admitted that I did.

He asked toward your identities, but I couldn't say it because if he knew you two were most probably dead, then I would lose any hope of surviving."

Subaru unmasks his face and relaxes his face:
"Good job, Otto. You have a bright calculated mind, and it allowed you to survive. Thank you for being alive." Subaru puts a hand on his shoulder:

"I know it must be hard for you. You just experienced hell twice."
Subaru lifts his right hand off the Otto's shoulder, and rubs his own face:

"But the fight is still not over, and I am so sorry to ask for your help, after everything you've done for us."