-Chapter 38-

The people: *boos* *curses towards the ungrateful being*

Me, uploading two chapters after a month without posting anything: It's not much, but it's honest work.

-Mari

________-

You spent the entire morning and evening talking with your mom, watching movies, and doing everything that popped up in your head at the moment. You had to admit, this was still the best thing in the world, even if it was strange that the age gap between you too was average now.

It made you forget about your worries completely, and almost made your mother forget about her own birthday too.

Unfortunately, the sun settled down by the time you finished watching the third movie of the day, just cuddling on the couch under the blanket.

"I need to get out of this house before midnight, but it's freezing outside," you said, forcing yourself to get up by sliding down the couch, slowly taking off your cover.

"Why's that? I mean, I don't think you need a curfew now that you're immortal."

"Oh please, it's already hard aging slower, I don't want to not age at all." You got up from the ground, stretching your back. "And I need to check on something before midnight. Sure, I can do it tomorrow, but I've waited enough, and I don't even know why I did that," you said, muttering to yourself the last part.

You went over the armchair where you threw your jacket, and picked it up. "Don't tell me, it's another of your strange night shifts," she gasped, "are you going to burn something else?"

"No... hopefully and for the time being. I'm just checking in on someone alive, maybe, I don't know that's why I'm checking. But hey, if they're not dead I'll call you tomorrow," you said smiling, putting on your shoes.

"That's reassuring, but when you say dead, you mean dead dead, or dead alive?"

"I told you I need to check!" You said, before waving goodbye and going out of the door.

As you got out, you took a moment to take in a deep breath, trying to think about all the worse possibilities rather than the best ones, which would be only one, Michael being alive in his house. After getting prepared mentally, about two minutes after you got out of your mother's house, you started walking towards his.

It was only after you managed to reach his apartment building that you realized which route was faster than your walking for 30 minutes: go to Henry's, get the car and drive here, with a time of probably half you took to walk on foot.

So you rang the doorbell, and you were ready to smack him in the face if you saw anything that could relate to Circus Baby's pizzeria, or even better, you could just sack him in the face as soon as he would open the door, but that would be too aggressive if he didn't actually work there for a week, but then again he could have found some other girl and just completely forget about you, which would be strange with all the invincibility thing goin-

"[Name]?" He answered the door, looking confused. "W-what are you doing out here so late? It's almost 11 pm."

It took you by surprise... the fact that he didn't have his pajama on,  among other little details of course.

"You're the one to talk, you look like you just came home rather than being in your bed, sleeping," you said annoyed, but quickly calmed down. "I haven't heard anything from you in a week, can we please get inside? It's freezing."

He moved to the side of the door, letting you enter and immediately closing the door. "Sorry if it's still a bit cold, the heater broke so I just have to rely on blankets."