Chapter Thirty-five : Snowball

Denji remained stiff, completely reluctant to open the front door. The doorbell continues to keep ringing as if asking him to open it. At the same time, the vintage phone on the living room desk begins to ring. 

With these constant ringing of the bells and noises from the vintage phone in the living room had woken up Power, who then got up with a grunt. Upon seeing Denji, she approached him "What's up with the noises? I'm trying to sleep with my peon.." She asked the blondie groggily.

Denji's body remain unmoved and did not face her, as if he was paralyzed. He still did not reply to her question, nor open the door, but remained still and seemingly in a state of frozen shock.

"Oh, the phone.. gotta answer the phone" Denji says as he suddenly snapped out of his dazed state, turning his gaze behind him. Without an explanation, he walked over to the vintage phone lying on the living room desk.

Power, seeing his unusual demeanor, was visibly confused "The doorbell's ringing! Aren't you going to answer the door?" Power asked "Just a sec, don't open the door while I picked up the phone" Denji told her, which raised Power's eyebrow.

"Why not?" Power asked yet again, but the blonde remained silent as he picked up the vintage phone and held the receiver near his right ear "Who is it?" Power who stood behind him, asked.

To Denji's surprise, it was her.

"Miss Makima.." Denji muttered "Denji, have you seen the news?" Makima questions the young blondie "No, I just woke up.." Denji admitted.

As the doorbells continued to ring, (Y/n)'s calm snores could be heard. After few seconds of silence in the receiver, Makima continued "I'll give you the short version; the gun devil appeared without warning. We were unable to eliminate it. It had taken over a corpse and escaped" Makima explained.

"Your doorbell is now being rung by that gun fiend"

Hearing those words made Denji's spine shiver to his very core and his heart rate quicken. However Denji couldn't help but chuckle a bit, assuming it was just a joke "Come on, miss, that's not very funny. Why would some dumbass gun appear at our front door?!" Denji asked.

Makima only replied with ominous silence. 

"Miss Makima..?" Denji's eyes widened in surprise, realizing that she wasn't kidding "W-well hey! You can rely on us! Lucky he came to us instead of going mad in the city, isn't he? That's a big relief!" Denji composed himself and assured her.]

"Denji" Makima spoke once more and commanded him.

"I want you and (Y/n) don't think about anything other than killing him"

After the receiver goes silent, Denji puts the vintage phone back in its place "Hey! Why can't we open the door?" Power huffed, asking him once more. Denji turned to look at her with a nervous grin "Miss Makima says.. it's a gun fiend at our door, I guess..?" He replied.

"What? You're talking nonsense!" Power expressed her disbelief at him "No really, Makima said so.." Denji confirmed, his voice was slightly shaking "You're such a fool!" Power grunts in annoyance, displeased by his nervousness "Topknot still hasn't come home remember?" Power recalled Aki's absence.

"He's the one ringing the doorbell!" Power remarked. Denji's nervous grin dropped upon hearing her remark, his heart began to thump faster The uneasy feeling in his stomach was only getting worse. 

"Hey! That's you right, Aki?!" As Power loudly called out Aki's name, the doorbell suddenly went silent. The sudden quietness made Denji's heart thumped with curiosity and uneasiness, while their beloved cat, Meowy continued to snuggle against (Y/n) as he slumbered on the futon in the living room.